LFS question for New England.

Has anyone ever been to Tropic Isle Aquarium in Framingham, MA? I was just curious to see if anyone has had any experience with them that could offer some info. before I make the trip down there.
Thanks,
Myk.

blackdog

I have only been one time. It was OK. Not outrageously expensive, but about twice the price for most livestock and dry goods as what you'd find online. Many of the fish are kept in little display containers like bettas. I'm not so sure that's good for them, but it does make it easy to check them out. I don't remember being terribly impressed by any of the coral display or sale tanks.
I haven't been to the place in Nashua, but from what I've heard they are better, so I doubt Framingham is worth a special trip unless there's something in particular you're looking for that they have. Someone please feel free to contradict me, because frankly I've never been to an LFS that I liked. I think our choices are pretty weak around here.

I have been there an I wasnt overly impressed.. I thought they were a bit on the expensive side too for the quality..
There is one in Quincy mass, right off the highway that is great... nice coral room and LR room ( all kinds) .. they do JUST FISH!!! WOW, I spend A lOT of time there! LOL
Also the owner/operator is always there and he is truthful and very knowledgable....He will ALSO special order anything for you and pretty quickly too...
Thanking you kindly, Kim

Hi KimKissyFish,
I thank you for the input! The main reason that I ask is that I'm considering taking a job there and wanted to get an idea of what people liked and disliked about the store in hopes that I could work with the owner there to make some improvements and make the store a great place to go. I've already spoken with Mr. London about improving the Reef section which he had mentioned was in need of some help. Please stay in touch and let me know what you might like to see happen there. I think it would be great to meet up with other members on the board and get their opinions.
Thanks Again,
Myk.

Hey MYK,
Thats cool.. maybe you can get in there and redecorate.. and spend someone elses $$ on creating cool fishtanks..!! VERY COOL!
Also, you will get a sweet discount I bet..LOL Let me know if and when you start working there... I'll take a trip up... and you can keep a watch out for some cool stuff!!!!
Kim

Hi Kim,
Well I decided to take the job. Myself and Brandon just started last week and are the new aquarium professionals for the store. Brandon and I both own aquarium maintenance companies, his operating in the eastern MA area and mine in the southern N.H. area. Anyway, this store is great! I must say that there has been some bad rap on the internet about this place and after working there I can tell you that some of the thrashing is ill founded. I can see how some of it could have come about though. This store has been around for almost 40 years and the owner is a Marine Biologist and a Chemist. From this some of the practices of the store may seem out-dated and even in appearance things may seem old, but the attention to detail and the amounts invested in the many holding systems is incredible and I've never seen anything like it in any store I've ever worked in. Some examples, it takes almost a whole day to feed the fish that are fed high quality food to suit each ones needs, from Tangs to Tetras they are fed frozen, live brine, and vitamin soaked greens. Not just the expensive fish get the good foods. Tremendous amounts of U.V. on each system to help reduce the possible tranfer of disease from tank to tank as well as a separate net on each tank, I've never seen a store do that before. Precision Marine skimmers on each marine system. Some people have said that the prices are a little on the high side, but believe me it's worth it! This stuff is well cared for. In all honesty the pricing is not that bad, $30 for a nice Coral Beauty, $150 for a Semilarvatus, $7 for 6 Cardinal Tetras, these are not bad prices for clean, well fed fish. Anyway, come down and see me or Brandon if you get the chance, I'm on Tue, Wed, Sat, and Sun. we'd love to show you around.
Thanks,
Myk.

Hey MYK,
CONGRATS!! Thanks for keeping in touch... I will take a ride up and check it out ... What you got there for retrofit kit for CF?? I could use some for my 75? I was thinking of screwing them to the top of my canopy instead of having the 4 ft CP strip sitting on my gass.. what a pain everytime I have to open the glass pieces.....
What days are fish delivery days? would like to take the LONG trip when you guys are fully stocked... & Will you guys hold a fish, if I pay for it so I can wait and see that he's healthy before I bring him home?? Dont want to buy him when you guys JUST acclimated him, then bring him home and acclimate him again within days, way too stressful!! =)
Again, congratulations on the new job!
Kim