LFS selling salt water

vanos

They sell it for $1/gallon with the SG is at 1.21. I think it's a great deal. What do you think?

chipmaker

Yea a buck a gal is high, and ther sg is low........The lfs here makes and sells 1.023 and 1.025 and also 1.021..........Its easy to keep it if you keep a power head running in it or if kept in a closed container with an air stone, and store it in a cool dark place it will last a long time.......Just make sure prior to usiing it after its stored for any time to scrape any salt creep back into the water and allow it to dissolve well and make sure to check sg and adjust as your going to loose some water to evaporation during storage, so have some RODI on hand. My lfs just went up to 75 cents a gal on his water, it was 60 cents a gal up till about 3 weeks ago......

lion_crazz

I probably wouldn't waist my money. You can buy a bucket of salt that makes up to 200 gallons of saltwater for $40, and buy RO water at .50 a gallon and save $60 for every 200 gallons of water you make yourself.

xjayx

It's not a bad price.
My LFS sells already salted water for 1.30 a gal but I still think it would be a better deal to just mix your own.

chipmaker

If your lfs sells Oceanic brand salt, ask for a bag of the free salt samples all the dealers were given boxes of to hand out free as samples........Theh buy the cheap RO water and your set........I think the sample bags of salt is sufficient for 50 gal or so.

crashedin0

wow i get it 70 cents at 1.025 sg
and my ro at 25 cents i tested and every thing at 0
and i dont kno y but my hydrometer never floats under 1.006

finchfishs

i get saltwater for 29cents a gallon...but maybe its cuz im on the beach...they probably go down to the pier and get water out of the ocean then sell it to me haha....
1$ seems high per gallon, if you have a big tank...

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Vanos
They sell it for $1/gallon with the SG is at 1.21. I think it's a great deal. What do you think?
I would never buy premixed salt from ANY source. How do you know they did not use tap water? Do they maintain the RO/DI units with regular filter changes at the appropriate times?
I like to know what is going in my systems. Fear of the unknown.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
I would never buy premixed salt from ANY source. How do you know they did not use tap water? Do they maintain the RO/DI units with regular filter changes at the appropriate times?
I like to know what is going in my systems. Fear of the unknown.
I totally agree.

mikeyjer

I pay $1.00/gallon at my LFS. They use the same water for their tanks and they have a wonderful display tank that they setup. It's been there for years using the same water. I haven't had a problem with their water and I will keep using it until we get the larger tank. I guess you guys buy your salt cheap, not here....They cost just as much to mix your own then to buy premixed here....Not saving too much, maybe I need to start ordering salt or something. :happyfish

crashedin0

i did the whole master kit test at the ro water and my pet shop has a big tanker come in every wensday and fill up barrels in the back i watched as they dumped out 2 barrels rinsed all of them well and filled up all 5 the have back there
its a good shop but there coral price is to high