Lifespan of Fish, Inverts, & Corals

dutchswan

I am not sure if this type of thread has been posted in the past, but I thought I would pose the question. What is the expected lifespan of the various animals we host in our aquariums. I suppose it would be appropriate to include both the theoretical lifespan, and that which is also our experience as aquarists. For instance; how long would a Coral Beauty live in the wild? What is the typical lifespan in an aquarium? Voice your thoughts and experiences for all of our aquatic friends. :)

dutchswan

I think the answer for corals is: hundreds of years old in the wild...but how long in the aquarium? If we take care of them well enough, will a coral last longer than us?

dmanatee

I think for fish it really depends on type. I am going to base this of off fresh water fish because I know a little more about them. Your run of the mill tropical community guppy taps out at 5-8 years. Your pleco and goldfish 30-50 years. and your koi (80+ years) so I think that is enough to say our fish will probably out live us.
And I cant remember where I read it or if it is true, but the Royal Blue Hippo tang is supposed to have a long lifespan in the wild about 30-40 years but in the tank it seems to be a little shorter.
Neat question!

dutchswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanatee http:///forum/thread/383681/lifespan-of-fish-inverts-corals#post_3357556
I think for fish it really depends on type. I am going to base this of off fresh water fish because I know a little more about them. Your run of the mill tropical community guppy taps out at 5-8 years. Your pleco and goldfish 30-50 years. and your koi (80+ years) so I think that is enough to say our fish will probably out live us.
And I cant remember where I read it or if it is true, but the Royal Blue Hippo tang is supposed to have a long lifespan in the wild about 30-40 years but in the tank it seems to be a little shorter.
Neat question!
That is the direction I was hoping the conversation would go. I agree that each species will be different, so let's discuss each species as we know it. :)

novahobbies

There was an article in a FAMA magazine last year that claimed many species of anemones have the potential to live indefinitely if undisturbed and provided with adequate nutrients. It was a somewhat unrealistic claim IMO (what animal lives in an environmental bubble that perfect??) but we can infer that natural anemones could potentially live 100+ years in the wild.

novahobbies

Really? I had a skunk cleaner shrimp in my 110 that was with me from the beginning...I even sold it back. Over 2 years for that guy, and he was BIG.
...Then again, I had a second one die within about 8 months, so.....

tangs rule

My skunk cleaners usually last 2-3 years, if bought young (3/4"). I have a couple hermets that are 4-5 years and are now BIG like 5/8" across-but I cant get them out of their shell to see how long they are. I know of tangs lasting 20 years in the aquarium - my eldest is 8. I've 1 brittle star that is 16" across and had it for 4+ years. corals & anemones could last very very long times - if cared for.

blackjacktang

i know corals get can live a while like snapple said. In one of my books a guy got some kind of leather frag, about 3". He kept great care for it and he had it for a good 30 years. He eventually had to give it to a public aquarium because the thing grew to be about 3.5' in diameter and weighed around 120 lbs. It out grew is 120 reef.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasofme http:///forum/thread/383681/lifespan-of-fish-inverts-corals#post_3357776
crabs average 6 months. i'd guess shrimp would be similar. fish several years.
Most crabs can, and do live for years. I had a big ol' cranky CBS for a good 8 years and lost it in a tank crash. I've got peps and hermits that are several years old.
Fish can range anywhere between a year to decades, depending on the fish in question.