light and sand question (anyone who moved a tank)

lil.guppy

I am moving across the country and wanted to know if my sand is still usable? It wont be temp controled but can still be submerged. Will it take longer to recycle or should I just get a couple new bags of that pre-cultured sand?
Also I am putting my coral in a tubaware container with a family member until they can ship me the coral once the tank establishes. Someone on here told me of a light I can get at homedepot or lowes that works just fine temperary but I forgot what it was or the watttage. The container is 13'' tall by 26'' long but will only have 9'' of water in it. I was looking for one of those clamp on lights.
thanks

geoj

I am moving across the country and wanted to know if my sand is still usable? It wont be temp controlled but can still be submerged. Will it take longer to recycle or should I just get a couple new bags of that pre-cultured sand?
I would just cycle the set-up with the old sand and live rock
It will be just like most cycles 3-4 weeks

lil.guppy

Oregon to Fort Polk Louisiana its a 46g
If I use fresh live sand by Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ will it cycle faster?

geoj

Yes the waste cycle should be shorter with new sand. The old sand has waste that will contribute to the cycle time and the new sand does not. With a short cycle you need to keep eye on the waste numbers as you add new things because of less maturity. Yet I would just use the old stuff if it were not too foul.