Light might b causing brownish red in my tank

Hi All, I got a new light system It is a coralife, with actinic, regular lighting (daylight) and the blue LEDs which mimic nighttime. Since I have this light on the tank, I have more brownish looking stuff in the tank. Looks neat on the rocks, but why do I have that, It is even on the thermometer of course ont he glass. Did I start something growing in my tank? I think I got red tide lol. Thanks for any info Lynda

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeartist51 http:///t/396820/light-might-b-causing-brownish-red-in-my-tank#post_3535552
Hi All, I got a new light system It is a coralife, with actinic, regular lighting (daylight) and the blue LEDs which mimic nighttime. Since I have this light on the tank, I have more brownish looking stuff in the tank. Looks neat on the rocks, but why do I have that, It is even on the thermometer of course ont he glass. Did I start something growing in my tank? I think I got red tide lol. Thanks for any info Lynda
Probably.

Not unusual to get an algae bloom with new lights.

try killing the lights (and stopping feeding) for a few days to kill off the algae then resuming with 1/2 duration lights and feeding.. and adjust So corals coralline and other neat things grow but not the algae.

my .02

Thank you for info. Will keep lights off for a few days, maybe just leave on the led lights that are blue. Will not feed for a few days also. Then put the lights on for only a few hours a day. I also think the lights where bleaching out the lion fish, his strips became very pale and he always had nice dark color streaks. I guess that is because of the lights, maybe??? thanks again