Light replacement question

sawillia

I got this tank (90 gal regular) and it's inhabitants from a local dive shop. They didn't want it anymore and the fish were suffering....
I've been reading here off and on for the better part of 6mos or so...
I'm kinda of dumb when it comes to lights.... It has 4 flourescent bulbs 2 blue and 2 white. Look like regular 48in flourescents....
I know they havent been change in forever....
It's got lR and Fish in it. I want to get the water quality and green hair algae undercontrol and let it sit stable for awhile...
After that I want to add an anemone for the Tomato Clowns... (2)
So what lights do you recommend to put in these fixtures. Maybe later I would go to Metal halids or PCs.. but not right now...
Also I've got a set up 25w Regular Halogen (undercabinet lights) mounted in the hood... They run from 8am to 11a and then 6 to 1. From 11-6 the VHOs run...
I didn't really think the halogen would hurt anything... I didn't want to run he VHO so long as I'm hoping to Axe that algae...
Good idea?:nervous:
TIA....
I'm hoping my good intentions haven't got these fish into trouble living here...
SAW

spline9

If you stop the VHO to "axe the algae" you might also axe the organisms on the LR in the process.
Maybe a lawnmower blenny might help or some other hair algae eater.
You might want to change those bulbs to keep the LR alive, too. In fact, if they havent been replaced in at least a year... definately do it. Although more issues with algae might occur due to the lights.
Oh, your VHO blue/white bulbs are most likely PCs. Pop out the bulbs (dont forget to unplug them first! heh.) and check the pins. If there are 4 pins in either .... or :: formation then youre good. Just go the LFS and find some replacements for them. They will need to know the wattage, length, and pin layout to get you the right bulbs.
Id also check into getting a protein skimmer (if you dont already have one) to help fight algae growth.

sawillia

New lights are next!!
What happens if the Blenny eats all the algae. will he starve to death ofter that?

spline9

You can supplement their diet with algae sheets.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...8b5d7f4772178e
And if you just want him for "contract work" to clean up, then just give him to a friend who has an algae problem or take him back to the LFS. Heh.
There might be other critters that will do the same job. As well as a chemical solution. That I dont know much about, though.