Light Timer

mr . salty

I just use the standard Lamp type timers on all my lights.
I have four of them,and have never had any trouble with them.
They are cheap(less than 10 bucks each),and can be found at any "lowes type" hardware store.
Just be sure to get the multi event programable ones...

nerdy

I agree with Mr. Salty on the multi event timer. I got mine from radio shack. It is a digital timer with a battery back up. It ran me about $35.

mr . salty

I can't see even paying that much for a stupid light timer.
Why do you need a battery backup,if the power is out??????

If it is digital, when the power goes out the memory would be lost. Then you'd have to reprogram it when the poer came back on. Hence battery back up

I didn't say it was worth the extra cash ! I use the $7 Lowes model myself.
I was just explain ing why a bat. was required. :D
How many appliances can this multi event timer control. Could I set it to turn off refug lights, turn on actinics, turn on MH, start coffee pot,etc at specific times? Or does it turn on /off one appliance.

robb

They would probably only control one thing but multi event means it can turn your lights off and on at different times of the day.

broomer5

I've used the typical mechanical multi-pin timers.
Place the pins at the corresponding on/off times - and they work fine.
Never had a problem with them - they're around $10 bucks as mentioned.
If you like digital display with more functions - Intermatic makes a nice timer for just under $20 bucks. Home Depot sells them.
Multi function, 14 programmable on/off set points / day.
Random, Auto, Manual, etc ...
Whatever floats yer boat - they all seem to work good.

phil1964

I just got 2 from lowes.
Each has 6 outlets to plug stuff in.
I have never seen one like this but it is just what I was looking for.

robn70

Had my $7.00 HD times for 4 years and when they finally quit i'll by a couple of new $7.00 timers. don't need to be spending $30.00 a year on batteries in case power goes out. Just turn dial to reset time. Might as well hire some to take care of the tank too.
Just my $.02

nerdy

1 battery has lasted me the 4 years I have had the Timer!! It also has a ground built into it so. Since we are dealing with water I think that is a good idea (no fires)
I guess when something is important some people don't mind spending that extra money to buy the best possible product.