Lighting advise please

redfirecracker

I need to upgrade the lighting that came with my 150 (72"). I don't intend to keep the most demanding coral, just easy to moderate ones.
My setup came with four 55W compacts. My two options (I think) are :
1) Add two 96W compacts from AHSupply for about $200.
2) Scrap what I have and go with 72" 4-bulb VHO from HelloLights but it would cost about $500. (I could sell the old compacts to offset the cost some -- how much could I get?)
Obviously I'd rather save $300! Would four 55W compacts and two 96W compacts be enough? Would I be sorry later?
Thanks!

T

thomas712

Personally I would go with the VHO as I do not know about the PC lighting to tell you which bulb would be cheaper in the long run. but you will be replacing the VHO bulbs every 8 to 10 months maybe. Find out the cost of the PC bulbs and wieght your options.
Thomas

dive1

I like the idea of adding couple of MH. I am running 4 vho on my 110 reef and some of the corals really need a little more light. Spending a little money now will save you later. I am looking into adding 1 or 2 mh to my system now. I had to give away a piece of coral the other day because it would not open up and was slowly passing away. I have had it about 9mo and have lost about 1/3 of it due to lights. Good luck