Lighting and algae (LED)

dcc

Hi! I have a Current Orbit Marine LED reef light. I also have a bit of an algae problem at the moment. I know the white light will feed the algae. Will the blues? I can go dark for a few days on the tank but would like to keep the blues on for short periods. Thanks!

2quills

You'd see slower growth certainly. But without adressing the nutrient issue then concentrations of nutrients will continue to rise if there is less algae in there to consume it. So the next time you go to turn the white lights on again the algae growth will be even more persistant.

dcc

sooo... Google about the affect of blue LED on algae growth, got it! We are doing other things, just wanted to know if I was making it worse using the blues vs blackout.

2quills

Algae uses photosynthesis in order to grow. Ergo, no light means no growth.

You asked if blue light would cause less growth than the whites. To that I say yes. Now you ask if no light will cause less growth than just blue. And to that I say yes.

Is Google helpful? Sometimes, yes

dcc

You asked if blue light would cause less growth than the whites. To that I say yes. Now you ask if no light will cause less growth than just blue. And to that I say yes.

Thank you! Google offers conflicting opinions (of course), so that's why I came to the experienced :) I don't mind keeping the tank blacked out, but I was hoping to use the blues at least so I could watch the snails and crabs recommended by the LFS. I just didn't want to shoot myself in the foot by doing so. I've removed what I can in the tank and plan on scrubbing the rocks I can remove this weekend. I have a wonderful sponge I don't want to chance exposing to air so that one stays. I also did some reading and took a chance on vodka treatment last night. The LFS had been doing our nitrate/nitrate/ammonia tests but I'll also be getting a home kit this weekend. I'm working with what I can at the moment. I do appreciate the direct answer immensely.

2quills

If you don't have any coral in the tank you can simply shut the lights off for now in order to help get algae growth under control.

In order to be serious about controlling growth than you definitely want to consider ways of keeping nutrient levels low. Regular water changes, adding a refugium so that you have a place where algae can grow so that's not all in the display, phosphate reducing media, protein skimmers, good flow, conservative feedings etc. These are all some of the methods hobbyists employ to help keep algae at bay.

Otherwise we are just wasting money on light fixtures. Nobody wants a tank that they can't see. ;)

Reactions: dcc

bang guy

The algae can use the blue light, just not as well as yellow light. The advantage of blackout is the algae will die back rapidly. The down side is all the nutrients the algae sequestered and all the nutrients it normally consumed will be in the water now instead of in the algae.