Lighting And Flow Question Please Help!

kinder7668

Have 65 Gal Tank Dimensions Are L36xw18xh24 1/2 Tank Is Fo At The Moment But Want To Do A Reef Tank What Lighting Is The Best Bet And Should I Have Moon Lighting As Well And What Type Of Schedule Should I Put Them On ......also What Size Power Head Should I Get For Flow I Don't Have One Right Now But I Am Using A Canister And Wet Dry For Filtration But I Don't Know How Much More Flow I Need...

earlybird

Medal halide lighting will allow you to have any coral sps, lps, softies. Moon lighting is not necessary but looks nice and some are experiencing reproduction of certain species that they think is caused by the moon lights. You might research turnover, sump, and refugium. You'll need 15-30x turnover (many go above 30) for a reef tank. You can accomplish this by adding several powerheads to create turbulant water.

vti eg6

There is a lot I need to know about things like this as well.....
-Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a book on getting started on all this?

earlybird

Originally Posted by VTi EG6
There is a lot I need to know about things like this as well.....
-Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a book on getting started on all this?
Nice... you'll love learning about all this. Robert Fenner's The Concientious Marine Aquarist is awesome. It's a great starting point and a great read. In this hobby you never stop learning.