lighting fell in

I

iluvfish

I was feeding my anemones when my JBJ lighting system fell in the water! I think it may have ruined my fans! I took it apart and tried to air it out, but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions!
Also - can tank inhabitants get shocked?? My carpet shriveled up after that and I know I felt the current while trying to get it out.

Ouch...it may have fried the ballast or blast caps. As far as your carpet....not sure on that one but YES, you can shock your critters.
Rule of thumb...ALWAYS unplug your lights when working with your tank.

I

iluvfish

Guess I learned that the hard way. -- Can they be repaired you think?
P.S. THe carpet looks okay.

I

iluvfish

Yes I do. But I still think the fans got fried. They started to smoke and make a bunch of firework noises.

crazy4reefs

man that sucks.. i always worry about the same thing. i guess i will unplug my lights from now on.. hope your lights will be ok, good luck :(

tdelinski

Sorry to about the lights, but why did the GFI not pop as soon as the lights hit the water? I would check the outlet out to be certain it is working as it should be.
TD

jimmyn

I would reccomend grouding plugs in addition to GFI. Not out of some great intelligence but out of actual experience. Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago.

aarone

watch out for HLLE in your tank now (head lateral line erosion) often times caused by electrical shock.
aaron

doodle1800

You wouldn't want your hands in a tank with overhead lights on, not connected to a GFI. Like throwing an appliance in the tub with you... ouch - very dangerous.
Take the lights apart and spray with an electrical cleaner spray. Make sure all parts are dry afterwards.
This weekend I was working on mine and water got into the ISOBAR I was using. Just a few drops. It snapped - loud pop. Its done..