Lighting for 180 gl ? Please cast vote/opinion

oceanjumper

Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade to a 180 gl soon. So far I have been using VHO (JBJ Formosa DX) on my 72 gl BF and grow softies quite well. On my new 180 I would like to have MH only or a MH/VHO combination. I do like to have clams and stonies some day.
I am looking at these choices:
1) Aqualight PRO 3 x 150W 10k HQI/ 4 x 96W Actinic Compact Fluorescent/Lunar system
2) Outer Orbit 3 x 150W 10k HQI/ 4 x 96W Actinic Compact Fluorescent/Lunar system
3) Aqualight Advanced 3 x 150W 20k HQI (supposedly no actinics necessary with these)
Some people talk about 250 W MH but I can't find complete hoods with these.
Do you use any of these? Had experience? What would you recommend?
Thanks for taking the time explaining your recommendation.

flatzboy

I'd go with 3x250 watt hqi metal halides in pfo mini pendants with pfo hqi ballasts mounted into a canopy with 2 vho uri superactinics.

oceanjumper

Thanks for replying. Your opinion is unanimous.. :) I really like open tanks without a canopy, hence my choices listed. I have seen pendants that also had lunar LEDs in them which looked cool to me as well. I think i will post my same question in the newbee forum hoping for some more replies.... (if that will be ok with the moderators...). Thanks again, I remain open for more tips/advice/opinions/experiences.

reefnut

Post away... the more opinions the better. As I'm sure you know this hobby is based on opinions and personal experiences so the more people you hear from the better.