Lighting for 180...

Well, I still haven't decided on what kind of lighting I am going to get yet...only beacuse my dad is busy with his side job and I really can't buy anything expensive without him. Its a 72' 24' 24'..
I want to have a wide variety of corals, and I DO NOT want to go cheap. I want to get a combo of VHO's and MH's... Please include wattage, kelvin, etc.. thx alot

rook

Just a though, I really don't know though,
How about 3 - 250watt 10,000 ushio metal halides, and 4 uri vho's actinics.
From what I have been told with metal halide, 250watt bulbs are good for 24" deep tanks, and you want one per 2 feet of tank. Then add the vho actinics for color.
Get other opinions though as lighting is not my expertise. I would like to some day upgrade to maybe a 180 gallon though and will be interested in what is recommended.

wamp

I had 3 175 watt 10k halides and 4 VHO actinic.
I would go with the 250s If I were you.. Maybe even 400w...

ok, i spoted a deal, thx to attml for a hoold containing 3x400 PFO ballast 10k bulbs, icecap ballast for running 2 actinics VHO, for 1,400 about with shipping... is this a ripp?

spsfreak100

I wouldn't go with anything less than 400wt halides on that tank. The 250wt halides will not penatrate down to the bottom of your aquarium as well as a higher intensity would. It all has to do with the intensity of the bulb. The deeper the tank, the more the intensity you'll need to have the lighting fully reach the bottom of your aquarium. The 250wt bulbs might work, but I personally think you would be better off with 400 watters.
Graham

y2says

I would go all the way and not have to worry about upgrading later. If money is not an object, I would go with 3 400w MH and 2-4 VHOs. I'm sure you can retrofit that into your canopy. Plus it'll be a lot cheaper.

wamp

The problem with 400 is two fold. Heat and electricity. Unless you plan to keep extreme light demanding corals the 250 will work.
400 would be nice, but they are expensive!

rook

Wamp,
Based on light requirements only, would the three 250 watts with vho actinic supplements be adequate to allow clams (max & cro's) to thrive in his/her tank?
Also, if the tank is 24" deep, the lights are generally 10" above the tank, and assume a 5" dsb, the distance would be roughly 29" from lights to dsb where clams are kept.

richard rendos

If you even think you want to successfully keep SPS and clams, I would go with 3 X 400 watt MH, and 2 X 6 foot VHO actinics. 2 of the MH 20K, and the middle MH 10K. This is a very good combination of lights allowing for optimal growth, and coloration.

wamp

I will disagree with Rendos. Yes the 400 would be better but I think you will have no problems with 250w. You WILL get better colors and faster growth with the 400 but you will get fast growth and good color with the 250. I will not arguee that. But to say you have to have 400, I can't do that.
So, 400 better but not a have-to.
I would also go with 4 VHO instead of 2. Just from experience here. I had 2 and the tank looked 10x better and I had better growth.
The distance above the water is of no affect, or VERY little. It is the amount that has to penatrate the water. So, 24"-5"=19" of depth that has to be penetrated. Also, a good reflector will help get the most light to the tank.

richard rendos

Well, you can listen to wamp if you want or you could listen to those of us who have actually kept clams and SPS.
Wamp - sorry to bust on you, but you never really kept SPS...you kept mainly LPS and leathers. I am not saying your tank wasn't nice, but it contained medium to low light corals.
SPSfreak100, skilos, steveweast, BigMac, and a few others of us who keep mainly SPS and clams have tried many types of lights and have seen what produces the best colors, and growth from these types of corals.
There is not much difference in price from 250 watt to 400 watt systems, so why limit yourself?
P.S. I never said you have to have 400's...I just suggested that I would recommend them.

spsfreak100

Most Small Polyp Scleractinians will do much better with a higher wattage of bulb (EI: The 400wt Halides). Most people who are quite serious about keeping SPS and Clams choose the 400wt over the 250wt halides.
In many online vendors, the prices are almost the same between the 250wt and the 400wt, as Richard already stated earlier. If you look around the net, i'm sure you could find some outstanding deals for the 400wt 20,000k Radium with PFO HQI ballast, which could possibly be cheaper than going with the 250wt 10,000k Ushio with PFO ballast.
Graham

wamp

Well, you can listen to wamp if you want or you could listen to those of us who have actually kept clams and SPS.
Man, and all this time I thought you were a friend. What time are you to arrive in Raliegh in May?? I heard yellow cab offers good rates to Long Beach.. :)
Unless you plan to keep extreme light demanding corals the 250 will work.
Thats me above. I have covered what you said Richard. I would consider most SPS to need extreme lighting. As you said "he never said SPS in his post".
those of us who have actually kept clams
I had a maxima in the tank before the hair algea. I guess you never saw that. I gave it to David at WOP while battleing the hair. When I finished getting rid of it, I went to retrive it and welll you kow what happens to stuff at my LFS. Did I fail to mention I only ran 175w?? And, although lower light than most SPS, the Hydnophoria.. Green as grass and grew well....
And last but not Least
Yes the 400 would be better but I think you will have no problems with 250w. You WILL get better colors and faster growth with the 400 but you will get fast growth and good color with the 250. I will not arguee that. But to say you have to have 400, I can't do that.
That pretty much sums it all up.:)
P.S. You know I had to reply.
P.P.S. I know your already working on a comeback too.....