Lighting for a 150Gallon

1968oldsma

this tankk is going to be a FOWLR as it stands right now i dont think i'm going to be dealing with a reef just fish and live rock, i'm wondering what would be a better set up in the tank should i go with one of those lighting setups from an online website or something i'm going to be building a full enclosed hood for the tank it's 72" long and 28" tall should i just build something inside in the hood like put a set of Metal halides or should i just put some VHO lights and build them into the hood is it cheaper? i'm seeing online something that size is running like a grand so is it cheaper to build my own or buy something like that anyone have any pics maybe or suggestions please let me know i have been searching the boards but i'm still a little unsure.

robchuck

MH is so cheap and easy to come by these days that it's hard not to recommend. 3 retrofitted MH lights at a higher Kelvin rating (13,000K+) w/o actinics would cost about as much as a fluorescent lighting kit, use about the same amount of electricity (maybe slightly more), and put out about the same amount of heat. The MH is much better for the livestock and looks so much more natural.