Lighting for a 5 gal.

I want pc lights but how many watts should I have. Any other info on 5 gallon nanos would be cool too cuz im just planning right now.
Thanks,
Alex

kyaney

I have a 6 gallon nano and have an 18W PC. I have looked everwhere for something bigger, but everything is too long. Where can I get a 32W retrofit?

diddley

70 watt mh on a 5 gallon tank? overkill, imo. do a search for "my first six pack" by user CBSHARK. he has an awesome five gallon using the 32 watt retrofit. check it out.

aggie05

If you want to go cheap you could get two 13 watt bayco worklights from Lowes and put them in a hood. And a 70 watt MH would be perfect for an SPS dominated 5 gallon. Just have to keep it a few inches off the water. I even know of a guy with a 70 watt MH over a 2.5 and the tank looks great.

diddley

i'ld love to see the tank, aggie. i'm just thinking of heat issues and topping off 2-3 (4 or 5 maybe) times a day without an automated system. with a five gallon sps, fish would not be an option due to water quality.

aggie05

True, it wouldn't be a good tank for fish. And plus, 5 gallons is a bit small for fish. I will probably try a 5 gallon with MH sometime down the road though, I'll let yall know how it works.
Oh and for that 2.5 gallon, it is on another site, its nano specific (hint hint) and the user name of the guy is Liquid. There is a big thread about the tank and the last few pages of it have the MH pics.

diddley

i'll check it out, for sure. just for a little poke, i've been hearing "bad" things from your way about a+m football. what's up?

aggie05

Bah, I am not really following football lately. We are having so many other problems right now, that isn't one of my leading interest. I guess the bad news was that we had a losing season last year, but we are in the process of rebuilding our program so it is to be expected. I think we will do much better this year, and next should be great.

aggie05

Just restucturing the university, president wants more diversity but the stupid ultra conservative student body is afraid of change. Stuff like that.