Lighting for a snowflake

liosander

In my tank i have a few damsels, a clean up crew, some live rock, and a snowflake eel. Nothing too special. One thing i wanted to know was if there are certain lighting specifications that would suit an eels need, other than 12 or so hours of light and 12 or so hours of darkness light i've been doing. Thanks for your help!

kev

Eels do not require any type of special lighting, but I've heard that they acctually do better in tanks that have "less" lighting. :D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
IV is right. Fish generally do not have particular lighting needs or preferences. Eels do prefer it on the shadier side, as their own reclusive, cave-dwelling behavior indicates.

liosander

Thanks guys, i kinda figured the eel would be more on the darker side of things. Thanks again for the quick replies!

scott270

mine has made a home completly under my lr, what kind of clean up crew do you have most will be eaten

My snowflake seems to be fine with my current lighting. They do prefer the darker environment which can eliminate any desires for corals which need high output lighting. I had used PVC to create a network of tunnels and he seems quite content living there. He comes out at night right about an hour after the actinic's go out. Even though they will eat inverts......I keep my eel well fed and he has never even made a move towards any invert. WORD to the wise tho.......if you buy a snowflake and place him in a situation where he must hunt for food, keep your hands well clear of any opening where he might be hiding. Unless mine is unique, snowflakes possess lighting speed and he will take a bite out of your hand before you can say "REFUND"
Just my thoughts