Lighting for coral

justphong

I have a 55gal tank... and im just starting my cycle.. however i am wondering what kind of lighting i would need? I want to add corals and so on? If you can direct me to a specific product or seller that be great.
i was thinking of buying this... i can get it for around 254.92 on ----..
Coralife's 48" AQUALIGHT WITH 2-65W ACTINIC / 2-65W 10,000K LAMP STRAIGHT PIN BASE (W/ FANS)
Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 10,000KTM and Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamps, 2 on/off switches, 2 - 8 foot power cords for separate timers, 2 cooling fans (except #53100), built-in ballasts, sleek aluminum housing (50.5"x7.75"x2.75"), highly-polished reflector and acrylic lens cover.
however i heard... that it is not enough lighting...
any help would be appreciated thanks

dattong

You can keep softies with that lighting setup like mushroom, zoos, xenia, colt... provided that your tank is not too tall.
I think for a 55g tank, dual 175 W metal halide would be a great setup, you'll be able to keep SPS and Clams in the future

justphong

im sorry but what does SPS stand for?
where can i find dual 175 W metal halide to buy? whats the price range on it?
thanks again

dattong

SPS stands for "small polyps stoney" like acro, hydropora, montipora.....those have colorful branches.
You can buy the dual 175w on ---- for $165, no bulbs included. Anyways, do a research to get the best deal

justphong

so i should be spending at least 400 for the complete kit?
something like this?
a) 400 bucks complete?
Dual175 Metal Halide/VHO 48" Reef Retro Light
http://cgi.----.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...393732416&rd=1
b)$225 starting bid
DUAL 250 W METAL HALIDE REEF AQUARIUM LIGHT $225 starting bid
http://cgi.----.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...394541696&rd=1link
c)US $195.00
DUAL 175 W METAL HALIDE REEF AQUARIUM LIGHT
http://cgi.----.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...394725169&rd=1
thanks... i appreciate the help.. i just want to get the right one to solve any future problems

dattong

it's up to your budget. If you're a diy (do it yourself) type of guy then you're gonna save some money by buying retrofit kit and make your custom canopy. It's easy though. Just type in search window for Metal halide lighting, you should see bunch of retailer, then compare their prices. 10K bulbs are white + actinics will give you a nice white and blue look. there are so many choices of bulb out there and it's up to you to choose them. The common bulbs' brand name are Ushio, XM, Coralvu.... prices vary. Again, it's up to your budget. This is an expensive hobby. Invest your money right at the first time will save lots of bucks later on, even when you decide to up grade your tank. I don't know anything about "cool touch lighting" system 'cause I haven't had a chance to use it. I'm running two 250w MH by Ice Cap and I like them very much. I'm sure there are members here on this board using "cool touch lighting"
you also can use magnetic balasts for MH which consume more electricity but cheapper. Do some search on this board about lighting, you'll see bunch of opinions. Hope this helps

justphong

dattong.. i was wondering do u have aim? it be a lot easier to communicate.. i appreciate it..
my aim sn is "justphong"

justphong

i jus want to thank dattong for helping me directly live on aim until like 2 am! :p
i have a better range and knowledge of the lighting situation... thanks again
and thankyou all the others..
time to get my lights...