Lighting for Fish-only with LR

paulkai

I never really thought about this. I have a 55g tank just sitting around and my roommate wants to buy it and start his own tank. He doesn't want any corals, basically a fish only, but he does want LR in his tank. What kind of lighting is required for a tank that will have no corals but will have LR?

kelly

Most any lighting will do, but I would recommend something like 10,000K flourescent. The only problem with using any cheap old flourescent may be algae. Anything above that would not hurt.

nosmada

i would definately try and stay away from the lower wattage lighting because of the greater chances of algae growth. as kelly stated a couple 40watt 10k would be pretty nice. then maybe supplement with another 40watt actinic for asthetics. one thing to remember is there lifespan is about 1 year then they should be changed. after that they start to loose there value and you will notice your algae may start growing.
hth,
chris

predator

Look into bulbs by coralife or uri.They make the bulbs Kelly is describing(though there are others).Lpus they are readily available and affordable.