lighting for frag tank

salt210

Ive been really thinking about setting up a frag tank mostly because I cant keep corals in my DT. I know I could just set up another tank all together just for a reef but I want to try fragging. my question here is what would be a good light for a 20L? I know that most would say a PC would do but I dont want the lights to be what will hold me back later if I want to do very light demanding specimins(sp?). The length of the tank is 30" and 12" deep.

joebob7

well if you dont want PCs and you have the money
i would go with metal halide lights
you can keep any coral plus anemones and clams
but they are also nuch more expensive than PCs

fatcat

Sunlight Supply 24" Tek Light T5 Fixture - 4-Bulb, 4 x 24W...
I think that fixture would let you keep whatever you want...

salt210

Originally Posted by FaTcAt
http:///forum/post/2724652
Sunlight Supply 24" Tek Light T5 Fixture - 4-Bulb, 4 x 24W...
I think that fixture would let you keep whatever you want...
do they make a 30" version? I was trying to look into T5's but every fixture I find is either 24 or 36"
joebob
I was thinking of maybe a clipon(150w) if I was to go that route. but no clams or anemones only corals for fragging in it

salt210

or would I somehow be able to mount the 24" on my tank? the 36" would be too long for the space that I have planned for the tank.
if there is some way to mount the tek 24" fixture on the tank I think thats the one I would go with because of the individual reflectors. I feel Id get my monies worth from it.

Where you get that 70w MH? I have a 40w actinic / 40w 18,000k / 20w 18,000k fluorescents on my 20L and all seems well.. About 5w a gal is what I have.. Made all the lights for it as well..

fatcat

SALT210
Just a thought...
You could use a 15 gal tank with the 24" Tek Light Fixture that would give you nice coverage...

salt210

thanks everyone for the replies. it looks like its going to be awhile before I can set this up. my day job is slowing down and my second job that I used for spending money has to make up for it. I just have more time to think of it now.

grubsnaek

def take ur time....honestly if you plan right, the tank will be done right the first time....dont try to cut corners and save here and there.....just dont by something till you save enough to buy the one you want...the tank isnt going anywhere.....lites for example...dont save now on some cheap model and months from now when your not happy, go and spend more money on another lighting system. cause at that point you bought two lighting systems for one tank, spent more than you needed. and buy saving and buying the right lite system you want that will work for you, later down the road when you would have been buying the new light system. you can use that money for new coral under a better lite.....hense take your time.....hope all that babble made sense
and i got the 70w halide on the bay......

grubsnaek

honestly now that i reread this thread, you should match your frag tank to your display. meaning try to replicate the light. same kind of lights, with around the same wattage, this will help recovery, acclimations, and transferring. how on transferring kinda goes with the acclimation part, but easy to go from DT to FT....

flricordia

What are you trying to keep in there? Mix? 2x70wt clamp-on MH would be good. 2x150wt would be better. You could adjust the hight and with 14ks you wouldn't need actinic.

salt210

I was originally wanting to be able to keep anything in it, but now probably just the lesser light needing ones

salt210

I dont want to have to use halides on it. I want to use T5's probably a tek. so it will be what this light can support.

grubsnaek

enough of t5's and you can keep anything. usually halides extremely needed when your trying to house something like an anemone or a clam. other than those two things t5's will support softies, LPS, SPS.......you can have anything especially since its a shallow tank.....hope that helped!