Lighting for Reef tank

reptilicus

Hi,
I am planning on setting up a 180-gallon mini-reef aquarium. I have kept saltwater fish before without a problem but this time I am going to set up a reef tank with corals and the whole bit. I was wondering whether 10 VHO fluorescent tubes would be enough to light a 24" deep tank, or would metal halide be a better option? I have heard conflicting information-some say that metal halide is the only way to go if you are keeping corals, especially in a 24" deep tank, whereas others tell me that 10 HO fluorescent tubes are better, and that as long as I replace them when they begin to lose intensity, they will be fine, because spectral peaks are the important factor rather than just plain intensity.
Thankyou for your advice,
Tom
[This message has been edited by reptilicus (edited 07-02-2000).]

reptilicus

G'day,
thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I live in Australia and the only lights available here are either HO or Metal Halide. If it helps, the lighting structure I was going to use was 3 rows of actinic, one of powerglow and one of biolux. I would love to keep a fair number of corals as well as clams and such like.
Thanks,
Tom