Lighting gonna work?

A

alexmir

I have a 150 W mh 14000K with 2 96 watt pcs over my 60 gallon bowfront.
The tank is only 36 inches long, so the light is pretty compacted over the tank. I have kept a pectinia, which i know is an SPS, a lower light SPS for a while under just the pcs.
I bought a birdsnest 2 weeks ago and put it at the top of the tank, under the MH. It has been doing good so far, has kept its beautiful color, and has not receded.
Does this sound like enough lighting for the birdsnest and other moderate lighting SPS?

H

heart & sole

thats enough light for most sps. How deep is the tank?

A

alexmir

its 20 in, but all of the SPS will be a few inches under the water line, nothing will be mid to bottom. I thought it would be enough, just wondering if anyone has a similar set up with SPS.

H

heart & sole

i have 2x150 14k over a 55g and my SPS corals are doing very well i have them mostly high in the tank and some monti frags in the mid level of the tank. So you should be fine with your setup as long as there not on the bottom.

gatorwpb

2x150w on my 65g which is 24" deep. I have 2 maxima clams on the bottom and over 20 sps species in the top half. My biggest and best growing acro is located in the middle of the tank. The rest of them are 3/4 of the way up.
But i switched out to 10k Aqualine AB bulbs on my sunpod.

mr_x

a pectinia is an LPS, if i'm not mistaken.
i've seen it listed as an sps on different livestock retailers' websites, but i have a specimen, and it has no characteristics of an SPS. it has large mouths that eat large pieces of meaty foods. it does not have small polyps, atleast not that i have seen, and it doesn't require strong lighting either.
i believe each mouth, surrounded by the spiny/boney tissues, to be a single polyp.
i googled it to find this-
"i will benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or other foods designed for plankton feeding animals, and should be fed when its tiny tentacles are visible during the evening."
i've not seen anything like this. my pectinia eats whole misis and pieces of meaty foods the size of a pea.
meanwhile, i think your sps should be fine.