Lighting help

weiser5150

I have a 72 gal FO and the lights that came with the tank are just standard ALL GLASS lamps. 48" 32 watts. I wanted to buy some better bulbs to enhance the color. Maybe make it more bluer?? IDK
any suggestions?

masterid

Lighting is one of the most important components of a aquarium. The proper lighting intensity is required for corals and/or invertebrates to survive. Similar to plants, corals and many invertebrates require light for photosynthesis to generate energy and food. If your corals and invertebrates do not receive enough light for photosynthesis, they will not survive.Improper or insufficient aquarium lighting causes fish stress, lessened activity and coloration, and poor growth and health in fish and invertebrates. The goal of fish tankhttp://www.agritura.com lights is to replicate the natural conditions of light in natural habitats. Most aquarium fishes need up to 12 hours a day of the appropriate level of daylight, and it's up to you to give them normal days and nights as they don't have any other way to normalize behavioral cycles (like spawning or even feeding).

scrombus2

The 48" size is a standard in the industry, meaning EVERYONE makes a lighting system in this size. Do you intend to keep your tank fish only, or add corals later? For FO, a good setup would be a 4-tube T-5, or 4-tube T-8. As far as bulb selection, 2 true actinics and 2 10,000K, 18000K or 20,000K will give a good color rendition and will be adequate to keep your live rock thriving.I'm currently running 6 48" T-8's- 2 actinic blues and 4 18,000K. I like the looks of this setup.

errattiq

look on e-bay for 48" power compacts with 10000k and actinic bulbs... they are 260watt fixtures and they are only like 75-80 bucks,,,,

masterid

Improper or insufficient aquarium lighting causes fish stress, lessened activity and coloration, and poor growth and health in fish and invertebrates. The goal of fish tank lights is to replicate the natural conditions of light in natural habitats.
It's really good idea to replace improper lightings as sson as possible, Good thinking, Weiser!!!

masterid

Most aquarium fishes need up to 12 hours a day of the appropriate level of daylight, and it's up to you to give them normal days and nights as they don't have any other way to normalize behavioral cycles (like spawning or even feeding).
Weiser, you have 75 gallon of tank, So the lighting for this system is completly custom with 2x 250w metal hailides and 2x 110w VHO's. what's in the aquarium is about 100lbs.

ray j neal

Well I went way over the top I feel on my FOWLR lighting. I got a 72" Nova extreme pro..39wx12. 6 460nm acetinics, 6 10,000K. Good enough to keep corals in my standard 150, but really makes the colors of fish and rock pop out!