LIGHTING (PLAIN AND SIMPLE)

stalyun95

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ....IF YOU THINK THAT 8
T8 STYLE NORMAL OUTPUT FLORECENT BULBS WILL BE OK (MAYBE NOT GREAT, BUT OK FOR A REEF SETUP) OR IS IT A NEGATIVE FOR SURE. 4' LONG 40 WATTS EACH. 5-10,000 K AND 3-ACTINIC. I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I GO AND BUY THEM. PLEASE HELP AND BE SIMPLE ABOUT IT.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

oceanblue

Brian,
I ran mine for the first year on that same kind of setup only two actinics, and got by ok, as long as you start slow with low light, hardy creatures and supplement when needed, you should be ok. You will however get addicted and want to keep that clam or a nicer anemone and want to upgrade the lighting to something better. You should be just fine for starting out.

ironreef

you can keep soties /lps but 8 bulbs will be tight? How much with it cost total for lighting? IMO I would get an Icecap ballast and run vho min.I'm not sure what the no lighting will cost but4 ballast? How much is that?But if it all you can afford then just stick with hardy low light animals.

zackt

There is this service station in town that has 3 saltwater tanks that have been established for years now... the guy who runs the place swears on his life that the flourescent bulbs he uses work like magic... of course he uses 6-8 like you are thinking...and he has only beginner corals.
But why not go MH/PC? Only a couple of hundred more... and you'll know you've bought the best.

kdlbem

I've had NO's, and just switched to pc's..... No competition! The pc's blow the no's away. I would use NO's on a FO tank(why waste money on lights you don't need for fish), But for a reef I would definitely go with vho or pc(or MH, if my girlfriend wouldn't kick my a$$ for spending that much money)
Good luck,
B