Lighting Question for a 60 Gal

lizzy

I am trying to get everything together that i need to get my tank ready for corals or for a "reef" I guess I could say. Anyways, I have a power compact light that i was given It only has one bulb in it...I have no idea what watts it is. So I was thinking that I will prob have to upgrade my lighting anyways. So I was looking online for some MH's and I found some lights that are in the MH catagory but i'm not sure if they are MH or not cuz it doesnt say it in the title and i wanted to make sure before i tryed to buy them. This is what the website says.
IceCap Metal Halide Electronic Ballasts
HQI 150 watt ballast (will run any bulb) $124.95
HQI 175 watt ballast (will run any 175 watt bulb)
SALE $104.95 !!!
HQI 250 watt ballast (will run any 250 watt bulb)
SALE $114.95 !!!
Is this what I need for my tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually you list a few things there, both the "light" as well as the ballast that you need for the light. You will want to go with 250 watt bulbs, probably 2 for your size tank. There are a lot of variations but you must understand that these lights are frequently sold in kits [which means you have to install it]. If you don't know what you are doing, then it is best to get a whole lighting system that is readly to go. MHs with other florescent lighting is the a good choice. Also, you have to be sure that your electriccal socket is compatiable for that kind of lighting. It will at min require a grounded socket, and it is best to run it on a deadicated socket as well.

lanochka

I probably should have started a new thread, but since you are talking about lightning... Could you tell me how often one should change light bulbs? My LFS says every year! Is this so?
Lana.