Lighting question

judyk

I'm planning to upgrade from pc on my 72 bowfront. I've done much research and I'm even more confused. I think I'm leaning towards T-5's instead of MH. Would 4, 6, or 8 X 54 be best for most corals if I go to T-5"s? Also, would the manufacture make a difference? I'm understanding tek is one of the better ones. So, could I use less bulbs with that because of the reflectors instead of a cheaper set with more bulbs?

littlebuck

I just went form PCs to MH on my 72 gallon and it really makes a world of diffrence with the color of the tank. I would look at MH OR atleast VHO. I have 2-250 watt 14K mhs on it now and it looks good.

judyk

Littlebuck, from what I'm understanding, the T5 have more output than VHO's. I'm feeling a little nudge toward to MH. I'm concerned with the heating and electric bill issues with them. Our power company just made a major jump in charges. I do appreciate any input.

littlebuck

well from looknig at my bills with the pcs i had on my tank and now with the MH its not to much of a diffrence. Also the heat really isnt to bad if you have good flow in the canopy. But its up to you. Good luck