lighting question.....

chadman

ended up going with 2 14k pendant metal halides on my gfriends 55g...will this be sufficient light without adding any actinics? i was told that the 14k has a more blue hue than the 10k and that by running the 14k i would be fine for all types of corals clams anemones etc....

teen

you'll be fine. 10k, 14k, and 20k is mostly preference. you cant go wrong with the 14ks imo.
how many watts each?

chadman

150 watts a piece...thats like 5.8watts per gallon or so...that should be enought you think? i really want some clams and a carpet anemone and stuff...they will be fine in there you think?

teen

id keep the clams at least halfway up in the tank, and theyll be fine.
im not great with anemone info, but i think theyll be fine anywhere in the tank.
it was a good choice going with the 150s because you most likely wont have to worry about heat issues like you would with the 250s.

chadman

yeah heat shouldn't be a problem..each coralife pendant has its own cooling fan...also i don't know if it is too high but the way the mounting brackets mount onto the back of the tank there is prolly 7 inches or so off of the water...is this too high or is that where they are supposed to be?

octaviaoli

can anyone tell me about the odyssea lighting fixture i'm suppose to be getting mines in this saturday i order an 3-175 metal halilde lighting fixture 795 wattage don't know much about this brand i'm running it on a 150 gallon tank. any info will help

teen

Originally Posted by chadman
yeah heat shouldn't be a problem..each coralife pendant has its own cooling fan...also i don't know if it is too high but the way the mounting brackets mount onto the back of the tank there is prolly 7 inches or so off of the water...is this too high or is that where they are supposed to be?
7 inches is good imo. thats what mine is at.