Lighting question

N

nyyank

Should a glass tank cover be used on a reef? I had read that they cut down on the amount of light that gets in.
The advantage,of course, is that they decrease evaporation (not to mention that they keep your gobies from self destruction)and household crap out of the DT,but it would be nice to get as much out of the light system as possible.
I was considering using eggcrate to cover the tank and support the light box. Has anyone else tried something like this?
Any suggestions or comments?

dragonzim

You do not want to use glass tops. Not only can they cut down on the light getting into your tank but they also inhibit gas exchange. Plastic eggcrate is a much better option and it is what I and MANY others here use.

A

azul1994

IMO, eggcrate is better because it allows more gas exchange and allows more light in.

N

nyyank

Thats for sure the way I was headed---where do you get eggcrate? Is that some thing a lfs would carry?

Originally Posted by nyyank
http:///forum/post/2521930
Thats for sure the way I was headed---where do you get eggcrate? Is that some thing a lfs would carry?
I am curious as well, I use glass tops because my LFS said that it was a very good idea to spend 60 bucks on them.....apparently I need to go to a NSLFS

N

nyyank

As Spiderwoman and Spanco said it was right in the ceiling aisle at Lowes---easy to work with-cuts right to size with a pair of wire cutters-looks really nice and should be able to stop ANY watchman goby from jumping out.
Thanks Guys,(and Gal)

dragonzim

Originally Posted by nyyank
http:///forum/post/2523612
As Spiderwoman and Spanco said it was right in the ceiling aisle at Lowes---easy to work with-cuts right to size with a pair of wire cutters-looks really nice and should be able to stop ANY watchman goby from jumping out.
Thanks Guys,(and Gal)

Well, most any... I lost a Diamond Goby through the holes in the eggcrate...

mrmaroon

I use the glass tops. I don't want the salt spray coating my lights. I have several inches open in the back and a sump for gas exchange so I am not worried about that. If you have heat issues/ the crate would be a lot better.

drewissett

I have been using glass over my tank, and it doesn't cut down on the lighting to terribly much if you wash it off every week when you do a water change. One advantage to glass is it cuts down on the salt creep or spray that egg crate wouldn't catch