Lighting question?

iyachtuxivm

Ok so I've seen and really like the look of 14k MH. Right now I have 4x24wT5HO set up. Everything is growing well and seems to be happy. The light is on a 32 gal its 24x18x18. I have Zoos, Shrooms, Rics, some sps,lps,crocea,a little of everything. I found a 250w MH/2x65wpc set up for a good price. What would be the draw backs of switching? Will my Zoos and other softies be ok if I gradually aclimate them? The clam is new came from a tank with T5s on it. Any info will be appriecated.

iyachtuxivm

Thats one thing I was worried about. The other would be the pcs not being as good as the T5 actinics? But I found another light 150mh/2x24wT5 alot more money though
. I wonder how the heat would differ between the two. Would the lower wattage be a better bet? (for all considerations) Or should I leave it be?

wangotango

Between the 150w halide and the T5, keep the T5. You don't need the 250w halide for a tank that deep, but you could still use it. The heat could be managed with a fan. It's upto you, either unit would work well. Does your T5 fixture have individual reflectors?
-Justin

iyachtuxivm

Yes, they have individual reflectors. Why is the 150wmh not good? It would be more light. But as I stated the 250w unit is much less expensive. That wont fry my zoos? I was worried that the 250 was too much light.

gatorwpb

Using a 14k bulb in the 250 wont be as harsh on the softies as a 10k bulb in the same fixture. Maybe check out the 20k bulbs.
But a 250 is a little overkill on that small of a tank IMO. The 150 with t-5 act supplmenting should be plenty.