Lighting question

solandri

I'm going to be setting up a 180 in about a month and want to know what kind of lighting I should get. I only want to use the strip lighting and I won't be keeping this tank as a reef. I will be keeping a lot of live rock and maybe some smaller corals and inverts. I really want to promote as much growth as I can but I'm not going outside of using the strip lighting. What's everyone think I should go with?
-Mike
westonm@sas.upenn.edu

tangtang

Hi Solandri!
If I understand you correctly, you want to stick with florescents? If this is right, I am also interested in hearing about this! I have a 180 FO and was thinking of e v e n t u a l l y upgrading it to a FOWLR & LS.
Does this mean I can use the florescents I have in it to upgrade a smaller tank? I currently have 2 20W Marine Glows and 2 20W Power Glows = 80Watts. If I could make a canopy that would fit these plus the existing 36 watts (Eclipse tank), I'd have 4 watts per gallon of florescents. Would this work for a small reef?
I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!
Linda

iceburger

to answer your question solandri, if you do not want to use metal halides for your 180 then I'd go for VHO lighting, you will need alot of them for your 180gal... I'd say at least 5 watts per gallon...
TangTang, honestly you're gonna have some problems with the eclipse hood and the lighting system in there because there isnt much room for good lighting in the hood... if you could fit the lighting you suggested into your hood then 4 watts per gallon should be fine for most softies and shrooms

tangtang

Hi Ice!
Thanks! I was just wondering how not to waste the lights I have. I thinking about keeping the Eclipse intact and adding another tank. Heeee heee! Another tank! Been on ----! <smile>
So if I built a canopy and was able to fit 4 watts/per gallon florscents this would provide enough light? I understand it would be cumbersome.
Linda

iceburger

yes 4 watts per gallon is good, but i'd try to maybe go a little more, just so you could keep some of the corals that require a bit more light, i had nearly 8 watts per gallon running on my ten gallon nano (rest in peace :D ) but its up to you... nah the canopy should be fine if you build it yourself. to tell the truth i would go with power compacts, the reason is, is because they have built in ballasts...smaller and more compact hence more can fit in your hood...just a judgement call on your part