Lighting question

M

mitch24

Is lighting very important to a fish only tank? I used to keep the tank lights on for about 12 hours, but the algae got really bad, so now I only turn them on when Im showing the fish. I normally just leave a light in the room on now... The fish seem happy, and the algae problem has completely gone away... I can tell when there isn't enough light, cause the fish look like they are going to sleep

Also, is it ok to turn the lights completely off at night when I go to sleep?
Can the fish be in pitch blackness for the night?
Thanks in advance.

fishgirl

As long as the tank is a true fish-only with absolutley nothing but fish and dead corals/shells, then all you need for lighting is the flourescent bulb that comes with the hood. As for algae, scrape it off every day or buy some turbo snails 1 per 5gals. Leave the light on all day, and compleatley off at night. That's all I do. Maybe someone will say I'm wrong, but it's worked for years.

M

mitch24

Thanks for the response

But, it isn't the glass I have a problem with. The crushed coral on the bottom of the tank gets layers of green algae on it, when I leave the tank lights on. I'm wondering if I can just leave the room lights on, because this seems to get rid of the algae.
It isn't dark, but it isn't nearly as light as the tanks bulbs....
Also, what about nightime... Is pitch darkness ok for the night, or should I leave a small light on for them?
thanks again

eelman

pich darknes works for my fish, thats how it is in nature, my snowflake eel loves the night time, some times I take a flash light and look at the aquirium he is always swimming around the decorations.
as for the algae I have had good luck with scarlet hermit crabs, just make sure to put in some extra shels for them to move into.
also my favorite fish, my lawnmower blenny does a great job cleaning up, u just have to have about 15lbs of live rock, I was lucky, I only have 3lbs, mine loves to eat frozen formula 1 as well as algae
good luck

mr . salty

before I upgraded my lighting all the goodies on my live rock would ddie off in a week or so. Now seems to be doing better. Dark at night works for me too. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 06-13-2000).]