lighting questions

slipknotno

Hi I just started a 40 gallon tank that I would like to start as a reef tank. the tank is36" L X 18"D X 17"T. I don't have alot of money to by lights but I don't want to have to keep upgrading. Right now I am looking at 2 choices both on ----.
Option 1
400 Watt Metal Halide Aquarium Light w/ 20k Bulb
READY TO PLUG INTO HOUSEHOLD CURRENT! This item comes with a 1 year warranty from our company! You are bidding on a complete 400 watt 120 volt metal halide remote ballast aquarium light with chrome batwing reflector. This system includes: 1)Refurbished 400 Watt Metal Halide Probe Start Magnetic Ballast built into a USED ballast housing which will be either brown or white. 2) New 400 watt metal halide 20k bulb. 3)New 18" chrome batwing reflector. 4) Electrical cables - Wall to ballast 3.5 feet (Standard 3 prong plug) Electrical cable - Ballast to Light 10 feet. The Ballast housing will either be white or brown. The 1 year warranty covers everything but the bulb.
He said that this is all I would need. Is this true? Also Is this the type that I would suspend from the ceiling?
Option 2
ORBIT/ MOONLIGHT 36 INCH FIXTURE 4x96 watt (384 Watts Total ) NIB
Create the ultimate dawn to dusk effect with the pro-grade, Orbit. It packs our SunPaq Dual Daylight (10,000K & 6,700K), our Dual Actinic (460nm & 420nm) and our Lunar Light™ together in one sleek, fan-cooled fixture. Offering the leading technologies in one 24-hour lighting system that gives you one small step to take for a gigantic leap in performance. The 36" Orbit features a professional grade, powder-coated aluminum housing with splash lens, 2-96w Dual Daylight & 2-96w Dual Actinic lamps with independent controls, ultra-quiet high output fan, 3-Lunar Lights with independent power source, and Docking Mounts for elevating the Orbit above the aquarium.
Includes- adjustable legs, 2 dual daylight bulbs, 2 dual actinic bulbs, 3 lunar lights, 3 cords and 2 switches.
36.75" x 11.6" x 4.25"
Now I know that MH is all around better but the orbit comes with different lights and also lunar lights. Oh the MH is $90 and the orbit is $300.
Thanks for any info
Matt
P.S. How far from the tank is the MH supposed to hang

ajp

400 watts is gonna be a ton of light in a 40 breeder. But also you will kick yourself for not getting metal halides.
I have a 250w DE on a 26 Bowfront, but it is 21 inches deep. If I were you I would look at a 150w DE or maybe a 175w SE metal halide set-up. Retro kits and be found for around $200, and if you go used it wouldnt be hard to get one for around $100

sammiefish

id suggest option 1.... but I also think that you could go 250W and be happy (save electricity too) but if you get a bigger tank you might wish you had the 400 :D

mister t

slip. i just got #1 from that company and it's serious lighting pretty intense!!
you will need to make a canopy or pendent it comes with just a reflector.