Lighting Questions

kedabo

:help: My 35 gallon freshwater tank is a hexagonal and the space on the cover for the light is only 18" long. I am switching it over to a saltwater tank and want to have corals, and anemones along with fish a total reef setup(after the tank has cycled).
I was wondering if there are any 18" power compacts or better lighting setups that will work. :notsure: I have been searching for a lighting setup that will work with the cover setup I currently have.
I would like to spend as little money as possible on this right now. Especially since I will have to spend about $50 on sand and LS for a 4 in sand base and several hundred on LR.
Any help would be appriciated. :joy:

spitfire

Four words: Metal Halide Spotlight Pendant.
As for your setup, anemones have the ability to sting corals, or vice versa. Either use extreme caution when laying out animals, or omit one of the two.

kedabo

From what I have seen it would cos almost $200. Which I really cannot spend right now what about T-5 lighting?

spitfire

Originally Posted by kedabo
From what I have seen it would cos almost $200. Which I really cannot spend right now what about T-5 lighting?
T-5's 'll be more. Hold on; I'll try to fetch a good link.

kedabo

Could I use somthing like a inexpensive T-6 bulb until I can spend the money for better lighting. I would probably drop the anemones, but would that work for some corals? At least for a while.

spitfire

Pet Pirates
Here ya' go.
Another problem with T-5's, and PC's, is that they do not penetrate the water very well. They begin to lose their intensity after about 18''.

spitfire

Could I use somthing like a inexpensive T-6 bulb until I can spend the money for better lighting. I would probably drop the anemones, but would that work for some corals? At least for a while.
What the hell's a T-6?

spitfire

Thanks for the link. will they do coversions to us Dollars
Uh-oh, piss, I forgot it was a British site. Be right back.

spitfire

cgi.e-b-a-y.ca/Hamilton-Metal-Halide-Pendant_W0QQitemZ120006940021QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This one's perfect.
Copy and paste this address on to your, uh, address bar. Remove the bars between the word "e-b-a-y", and add the "http//" at the front.

spitfire

search.e-b-a-y.ca/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=Metal+Halide+Lights&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=V1G+3J6&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=
Or look here. LB

kedabo

It is a lighting style manufactured by Lightning Rod. T-6 is similar to T-5 but not as costing around $18.99 each. You can find them online. I am running one on my ten gallon. They are fairlly new. They are reccomened for reef aquariums.

spitfire

Hey! Where the hell did my links go? I went through alot of trouble to get those!
Moderators, explain yourselves!