Lighting strength question?

lar

I will be converting to PC lights on my new tank which is a 70gal 5footer. The plan is to go with
6 96watt lamps. With that config. could one keep the tougher hard corals? Would it be to much light for my leathers and Mushrooms and what would/should the bulb configuration be? e.g. actinic to 50/50 or 10k what?
thanks

lar

Just to get it to the top again, I am amazed with the activity on this board. It was buried on the 2nd page in 24 hours.

nm reef

That should be adaquate lighting over a 75 gal reef for a large number of corals. Except maybe clams and sps types. I'd look at a combination of the new true actinics and 10k's myself. I run 4x65 10 k's with 2x110 vho(actinic) on a 55 and I've got tons of lps etc. Also if the mushrooms/leathers are placed correctly they should do fine. Sounds like a well thought out lighting plan. Keep us posted on how it does. I use CSL myself and have been extremely pleased.

josh

Hi,
yes it sounds like a good plan, just make sure to add the lights slowly to alow the corals time to adjust ( over a week or two)... just don't whip them all in there and crank them up :)
Also, make sure you get the 03 actinics I think you will really love the color.
-Josh-

lar

Thanks,
I will go with, 4 10k lamps and two 03. all 96 watt.
Is sps coral the same as hard coral or more
difficult hard coral? I was hoping to do hard corals, any suggestions regarding same.
Thanks,
Larry

mlm

sps is small polyp stoney and lps is large paolpe stoney
sps = acropore, staghorn
lps = torch, hammer, frogspan, galexea, bubble
sps need more light.