Lighting under Canopies?

sprieto

I want to do a 130g (72x18x24tall) tank.
I want to continue to use a canopy, but what is the best light I can buy, that still would fit under the canopy?
I wanted to do something besides FOWLR (simple reef maybe).
I also don't want to have to bolt, rig, or do anyting to fancy (outside maybe being little cooling fans).
I have done small compact florescents in the past, can I use T5's?
I read that Metal Halides need to be suspended or mounted on legs, but definetly not under a canopy?
Suggestions anyone?
Specific brands / manufactures?
Does anyone still use a canopy with there lighting system?
Thanks.....

scsinet

Halides can definitely be mounted under canopies... it's keeping the canopy cool that can often be a challenge.
Forget compact fluorescent, that technology is as dead as a Sohal in any tank I own. T5 is a far superior successor.
Of course LED is starting to get really big, but it is very expensive, and even DIY LED setups can easily exceed the cost of commercially made T5 fixtures. It doesn't sound like you are into hardcore DIY, so T5 is what I'd use for a simple reef given your other constraints.
I don't know how you are going to mount anything in a canopy without bolting or otherwise mounting it.

2quills

Yeah like a 6 bulb T5 would be a fairly descent light for your tank. Some fixtures are better than others ofcorse, one thing to look for in a T5 fixture is one that has individual parabolic reflectors. But there are about a million different ways to build a canopy and not all pre built stands and canopys are made with the reef enthusiest in mind. Do you have a couple of pics of the canopy? More times then not some type of mounting would have to be done but that all depends. Some canopies have an open top to where you can set the fixture right on top of it. Halides typically are best outside or on top of the canopy just because of the heat that they produce so fans and ventilation is highly recommended. Lots of advancemence have been made in LED lighting lately, so that's always an option as well. Pretty much all comes down to how much you want to spend for what you're looking to keep.

sprieto

Thanks..... I want to stay simple (no DIY). I don't have pics (actually I havn't bought it yet, just planning ahead).
I thought LED did not produce enough wattage for Reefs?
I have read LED's stay cooler....but I was not sure how they measure up to T5's.
Tanks for the advise on 6 bulb T5's.
I might be able to mount directly on a canopy, but I think I would lose the ability to open and close (for feedings).
I know some compact florescents can just sit on glass lids, but I am not sure about T5's.
Thanks for responses!

scsinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprieto http:///forum/thread/387251/lighting-under-canopies#post_3405924
I thought LED did not produce enough wattage for Reefs?
I have read LED's stay cooler....but I was not sure how they measure up to T5's.
An LED does not produce enough... but a whole pile of them do.
LEDs are far more efficient than anything else out there... they produce more light output (and less heat output) per watt of electricity consumed than any other, so yes, they stay cooler. However, in the quantities used for tanks, they still produce enough heat that it must be dealt with.