Lighting upgrade question

pfitz44

My corals are use to PC lighting... and hopefully after today, they will have 250W of MH. Do i need to slowly adjust them to this light level? also, shold i watch what i put near the top so nothing will burn?
Old light was 65W PC 6700K/65W atinic 03 (On a 20 L)
New lights are 2x 250W 10000K MH 96W atinic 03 (on a 90)
Fitzy

majakarot

I don't know about your particular situation, but when I added more light I severely burned my higher corals to the point that a layer sluft off. I then dropped my light time to like 5hrs a day and slowly brought it back up.

lubeck

what type of lighting fixutre did you get? if it is a fixture you can hang start like 18" from the top of the water.... Every 5 days move it down ONE INCH at a time. then your corals will have a healthy 6 weeks or so of acclimation.
if you don't have a hanging fixture... i heard you can use multiple egg crates stacked on top of each other.. then every 5 days take 1 egg crate away.

stsweene

I recently made the same upgrade from PC's, but only got 150x2MH....
I didnt move any corals, I just started with the lights on for 2 hours a day for a week, then 3 hours the next week...etc.
Everythings done fine so far... I have them on about 5 1/2 hours a day now and its been a month.

praisethel

I'm doing the same upgrade that you did. my lights just today. are yours in a canopy? any heat problems? is the goal to run the mh lights all day?
Thanks

stsweene

na, no canopy, just using the legs that came with the setup. My tanks in my basement so its naturally cooler to start, with just using the internal fan in the lights my temps been raising a little over a 1.5 degrees... probably going to add a larger fan to see if that solves it.
No I dont think you want to run your MH's all day, some have them on for 8 hrs, some 10..some 12....