lighting

sandman1966

i have a 40 gal eclipse 3 system with about 15 lbs. of live rock 1 boxfish 1 tomato clown 2 bubble tip anemones 2 curly cues and an assorted clean up crew. my tank seems to be doing great but the lfs suggested that i purchase some extra lighting for my tank. i don't know if i need it or not because the tank seems to be doing just fine. is this extra lighting necessary, the lighting system costs around $100 some suggestions would be appreciated.

marcial

Sandman,
I have the same tank and I changed my bulbs to the Coralife 20,000K 20watts (high-intensity purified super daylight lamps with rare earth color enhancing phosphors. Simulates tropical mid-day sun while casting blue-white daylight rays. Fish, coral, macroalgae, and plants will thrive. Full 360° output). The eclipse comes with two T-8 size bulbs but it will fit two T-12 size bulbs. I changed to these bulbs because I wanted to get the light to reach further down. Our tank is very tall so the light has a way to travel to get to the bottom. Besides, it looks great!! Just my opinion, hope it helps. I also know a website that sells these bulbs for 20.00 each. Here in Hawaii they are 35.00 each, what a rip off.
marcial

marcial

I say if your tank is doind fine don't mess with it. I would only reccomend new bulbs if you are unhappy with what you have. The ultra sun super daylight bulb puts out 6500k. The 20,000 definitely puts out more light. My LFS told me that the 20,000K has blue Actinic in it, I really don't know if that's true but I have a Majestic Angelfish, and it has a white line across it's face and sides. With these bulbs the white lines look a flouresent blue, looks awesome. But again, it's about what you think is best for you, if your happy with you lighting and everything is OK I wouldn't mess with it. You might want to find out if your LR is getting enough light from the expert on this site. The eclipse tank is about 22 inches tall.
marcial

seatank

ok for the anomon's sake i would put the
100$ out for the lighting but not for just that the extra lighting will help corilen algee grow and makes you tank look brighter and better. i just spent 300$ on lighting for my new 180 gallon 3 110 whatt vho lights. my say go for it. :D :D