Lighting

scoobydoo

don't know, I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm still reading and gathering information. Right now I have FOWLR but eventually want to get corals. I thought I would start with easy corals but I only want to buy or make lights once and not have to upgrade in a year. MH seem very very expensive to buy so I thought I would try to figure out how to make my husband make them. I don't even know the difference between the PC, VHO and MH yet.

reefraff

I run T5 fluorescents on my 125 and i guarantee you halides are not the most expensive lights:D
I think if you snoop around ---- you will be surprised how inexpensively you can set halides up. Just report back a discription and vendor name before buying, there are some real losers lurking there.

bigdjp

I just finished building 2 MH setups. I just went down to the local electrical supply shop and picked up 2 Magnetec 250w MH ballasts. For anybody interested I would be willing to write up a complete How-To on how to get eveything wired up and materials that are needed. The price after buying all the materials came to about $200.00.

bigdjp

Scoobydoo,
I just got off a 12 hour shift and will get those instructions out to you tonight. Chances are right now I would probably leave out most of them.

reptij

I also have a 125 gallon that I am interested in building some lighting for. It is going to be a Coral, LR and Fish setup. I am thinking at least 2 MH bulbs and at least 4 Actinics. I am also looking to install all of these inside a canopy. Can you help me out with your how to?
EMAIL

thegrog

Originally posted by bigDJP
I just finished building 2 MH setups. I just went down to the local electrical supply shop and picked up 2 Magnetec 250w MH ballasts. For anybody interested I would be willing to write up a complete How-To on how to get eveything wired up and materials that are needed. The price after buying all the materials came to about $200.00.

I'd be interested in seeing those plans as well. Drop me an email with them if you get a chance please.
thejediray@aol.com

1man

Hello,
I was hoping I could get a copy of those plans if you had the chance. I'm also turning my 125 into a reef and am looking for to include something similar to what was described above. thanks in advance.