lighting

H

here fishy

I would like to upgrade my lighting for my 55 reef...I hve two strip lights in this tank right now...One blue and one florsecent...I have not had any troubles with anything I have kept in this tank as I have been very selective with what corals I have put in there and their lighting needs..
In a perfect world what would be ideal? I am being offered a great deal on some corals and would like to have the my lighting needs fixed first...

cyn

I went to one of the big LFS in Houston with that same question. They carry a custom, made for them, light strip that fits right on my current hood where the 2 strip lights you mentioned sit. I went from 60w to 220w without modifying anything. I now have 110w actinic blue and 110w of 10000k daylight. The front and back lights are switched seporatly and the strip includes 2 cooling fans. The strip is modifiable to add more fans on the other end too. Asking for email info,or offering links through email is not allowed here...It's considered a sneaky way around our "NO LINKS"rule...MR.SALTY.
[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: MR . SALTY ]

mlm

I have have a 55 gallon reef tank with 3 48 inch VHO lights. This gives me 330 watts. I currently keep mushrooms, bubble coral, xenia, and a closed brain.

q

What kind of corals will you be keeping?
This will determin what you need to do.

H

here fishy

Good question Q,..I will be keeping bubbles and other hard corals. I have not had luck with them in the past hence my post....My wife is from Portland by the way!