Lighting

sptfyre51

I have a 30 gallon tank would this be enough lighting to add coral, anenome's, etc?
1.Number of lights: 1 bars
2.Number of LED: 42
3.Colour of LED: blue
4.Dimensions [length x diameter]: about 36.5 x 2cm
5.LED diameter: about 5mm
6.Cable Length:about 110cm
7.Attachment: suction pads
8.Power input: 100 - 240V , 50-60Hz (can be used worldwide)
9.Power output: 12V DC-500mA
10.Power:2.5W

2quills

Unfortunately, no. It's not even close to being capable of anemones or even soft corals for that matter. The led lights used in the hobby are much much more powerful than that. And at a minimum you want at least a mix of blue and white leds to cover some of the key areas of the light spectrum necessary for photosynthesis to occur. It would be fine for fish only or non-photosynthetic corals but that's about it.

sptfyre51

Thanks, I was hoping it would be enough, but wasn't sure. How much more would I need in order for it to be enough?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptfyre51 http:///t/395173/lighting#post_3517675
Thanks, I was hoping it would be enough, but wasn't sure. How much more would I need in order for it to be enough?
I would stay away from those that you're looking at, period. They just don't have the power to penetrate the water with proper amount of intensity. You may want to look into some light fixtures that are more specifically designed for keeping corals. There are some lower end/cheaper units out there that could work for you. But you're probably going to be looking at around $200 or so for entry level units if you're looking to keep an anemone.

sptfyre51

When I bought the tank it came with a light fixture, but the guy wasn't sure if it would work, so maybe I just need to take it in and see if it does. What type of light do you recommend that won't shoot my electric bill through the roof? I just want to be as prepared as possible so I don't walk out of the store with 10 extra things I don't need or spend more than I need.

2quills

You have a strip of 42 leds that come to a total of 2.5 watts for the whole strip. That means each led is about 1/20th of a watt a piece. The leds used in the hobby to keep light demanding corals and anemones use leds that are 2-3 watts a piece. Meaning just one led puts out just as much or more light than your entire strip of 42. Now imagine a whole fixture with high powered leds.
The ones you have I guarantee you are not enough. But I'd still encourage you to get more opinions and do more research. Many new comers make costly mistakes for not doing so simply because they want to try things out and see for themselves.
I'd highly recommend researching the requirements for keeping anemones before you get one.

sptfyre51

Ok that makes sense thanks. I'm definitely not going to just try it out without research and kill whatever I'm trying out and it's too expensive to do that. So for a 30 g tank how many watts would I need?

2quills

I'd probably look for a fixture with something in the neighborhood of approximately 120watts or so.
We cant post links to competitors web sites here but im hoping some of the other folks will chime in on some of the brands that they're using that wont break the budget.
Evergrow I hear is becoming a popular brand. If you can get something that's dimmable that would be nice. But not always necissary.

mr. limpid

Look at Apollo Reef light fixtures They currently running a sale. The UV5000 will cover 30x30 area and will support any coral or anemone under it.

sptfyre51

Ok thank you I appreciate the help I don't want to spend all this money only to have my fish die due to ignorance

mr. limpid

Fish do not need special lighting, the fixture you have will work fine for fish. On my fish only tank I have T8 shop light with day light bulbs. On my reef tank I only have LPS I've been running the Marineland Reef LED's for 2 years and they are doing great.

sptfyre51

Is it the same wattage for flourescent lights? I ask because I went to my LFS to see how much the lights were there and to talk to them. My tank came with a hood light for flourescent, but I was looking at LED to save money on power. While talking to them they showed me their lights, they were out of the lights for 30 g tanks, but showed me the ones I would need for coral, anenome's etc and it was only 18 watt, but was 10,000 k. I don't know what k means, but I just want to make sure they weren't just trying to get a sale. The brand of the lights were coralight.

mr. limpid

Fluorescent vs LED watts are not used. Its the PAR readings you are looking for. In a LED fixture you want 3watt diodes or larger to keep SPS and anemone alive. Corallife makes a reef ready fixture but its only 1watt diodes good for LPS coral only. They do make a better fixture but the price is up in $2,0000 range, much cheaper fixtures out there that can do the same job.

sptfyre51

The light fixture I currently have is not an LED. I was looking into LED because of the price saved on utility bills and the guy I bought the tank from wasn't sure if the fixture still worked. I was just going to go with a cheap light and no corals or anything, but the more I've looked at coral, anenome's the more i've liked them so am looking into options if I can get a setup without breaking the bank (and my bank is small to begin with). If I buy a light for the fixture I currently have what specifications do I need to have in order to have SPS coral, anenome's etc? I hope that makes sense I'm not previously familiar with lighting specifications and am trying to learn as i go, but I appreciate the help

mr. limpid

Not sure the actual fixture you have but most LED fixtures do not have removable diodes with out removing the solder and upgrading the drivers in the fixture. It not worth the trouble and expense to do that. Cheaper to start from scratch DIY or buy a ready made fixture.

sptfyre51

If I started from scratch what would you recommend for lighting for a 30 g tank in which I could have anenome's and SPS? Keeping in mind I am trying to spend as little money as possible so the cheaper the better

mr. limpid

sweetervest13 just got the Reef Breeders Photon32 and likes them, I think the Photon16 would better fit your tank. Or the Apollo Reef UV5000 would also work. Both are a good price. The Apollo have 2 extra UV diodes and Photon comes with a controller and cheaper.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/395173/lighting#post_3517741
sweetervest13 just got the Reef Breeders Photon32 and likes them, I think the Photon16 would better fit your tank. Or the Apollo Reef UV5000 would also work. Both are a good price. The Apollo have 2 extra UV diodes and Photon comes with a controller and cheaper.
I do like the Reefbreeders fixtures. The photon line is nice and very cost effective.
Take a look at this article posted by 2Quills a couple of weeks ago. It is a great crash course in LED lighting.
http://aquarium-digest.com/2010/04/11/led-aquarium-lights-lighting/#further
Its a bit of a long read, but has a lot of really good information in there.
Check out the first search result on this Google search:
http://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=reef+breeders+photon+32&oq=reef+breeders+photon+32&gs_l=hp.12...0.0.1.2611.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c..8.psy-ab.HRA1ndVlaOw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.aWc&fp=4aca86295351bac5&biw=1024&bih=751
HTH's!!