lighting

fkanderson

I was having a real base case of the red slime attack then I went away for vacation for about 3 days and didn't have the lights on and the slime seemed to all go away...
I assume it has to do with water quality or lighting.... I don't think there is a whole lot you can add to your tank to get rid of it.

wagirl81

We also just returned from vacation to find the red slime in our tank. I think ours was caused by a couple of things. One was that an anenome we had just bought died, and the other was that the skimmer stopped working and the person watching our tank didn't fix it or tell us.
Our lfs sold us this stuff to get rid of it. You just use it once, turn off your skimmer for a day, then turn it back on. We only had to treat the tank once and it's all gone.

adrian

Cyanobacteria is the result of excess nutrients, its also phtosynthetic so it needs light to exist. There are some quick cures available, certain medications and red slime killers, but they are just quick fixes, if nutrients tend to build up in the system from a result of dying organisms or a lack of nutrient export the cyano will most likely return. HTH