lighting

striker

I believe it all depends on the type of lighting, the inhabitants and how the system is set up. On average they are left on 9-12 hrs a day. Mine are on 12 hrs each day. I have several corals that need sufficient lighting. If it's fish only it isn't as important and if you have mh/vho or mh/pc it alternates. If you begin to see a lot of undesirable algae growth then it's a sure sign of to many nutrients in the water and cutting down the lights would help.

nm reef

I'd say it varies depending on lighting and inhabitants...but the photo period should try to imitate natural day/night periods. Each system is different and requirements vary....personally I run 4x65 10k PC's & 2x110 super actinic VHO's on my 55 reef. The vho's come on at 9:00 AM & go off at 9:00 PM...the pc's come on at 10:00 AM & go off at 8:00 PM. I believe that its important to adjust your lighting to fit your system and to be consistant daily.:cool:

bustashat

Originally posted by striker
29 gallon with 60lbs lr and a dsb
2-95watt vho, bakpak skimmer + 3 penguin overflows(movement)and 3 powerheads
blue damsel, sebae clown, mandarin and royal gramma.
crabs(emerald, blue and red legs + 2 hitchers), cleaner shrimp, 3 pepermints, 3 mexican trochus snails (+ a few hitchers) and 2 long spined urchins.
blastumussa, sun polyps, bubbles, acropora+hydropora, welsyphilia, organ pipe, star polyps, mushrooms, favites, etc...
STRIKER. I also have a 29 gal. Im running a powerhead 402...but its pretty strong. What do you think of those moving current pumps? You are running 3 powerheads? Where? What size ? Thanks

striker

I run 2 402's and a smaller 201. I have two pointed in opposite directions and one pointing towards the surface for agitation. Because of the amount of lr I have the circulation helps with any stagnet areas. I have no problems with it and the inhabitants have been doing great. I don't recommend the power sweeps because eventually they will stop moving. The best possible thing for movement is a wavemaker but they are too expensive for my wallet.