lighting

ramba

I received a new 55 gal. tank as a b-day gift. It has a hood that takes a single 48 in. bulb. I saw a 50/50 bulb in the LFS. Would this be o.k. for a reef tank or should I go with a home made plexiglass top and more lights? I plan to start with liverock and may get an anenome or corals in the future. Can still take the hood back to the LFS without offending the gift giver. Thanks!

fshhub

I would take it back, personally as a gift giver myself
I would rather see you use it to get what you need, instead of dealing with it or getting new and it wasting away.
as for lighting, you really are going to want sowething a bit more intense, quite a bit. With many corals and anemones, they need lighting, LOTS of it too.
I owuld howeve do lots and lots of research before getting into anemones, they are not as easy to keep as many of us think when we start out., Beautiful, but difficult.

michaeltx

I agree take it back while you can. it will never supply the light you need for corals. especially anemones they need higher end lighting like Metal Halides.
on the other hand if you can get a canopy for the tank and look into retrofit lights then you will be in buisness.
Mike