Lighting?

pufferfan

What kind of lighting do i need to keep an anenome alive in a 10 gal reef tank? I want to get a small carpet for some percula clowns. Thanks!

overanalyzer

do some research on the carpets - they tend to get rather large. Now if you are just going to have a carpet with not much else then that would rock.
I'd go with VHO - after putting the VHO's over my 20 the only time I'll use PCs is for ancillary light to supplement or if there is not enough space to get the VHO's over the tank!

crazy4reefs

sorry to jump on your thread but i would love to put VHO on my 20 long but the only thing i can find for a 30 inch long tank are pc's. does anyone know of a web site i could check out ? thanks

T

thomas712

They make a 24 inch VHO retro kit or the plug and play.
Just dont forget to say HELLO to me when you turn the LIGHTS on in the morning. so .COM on and bring me my coffee. ;)
Make sure you use the URI bulbs.
Thomas

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Thomas712
They make a 24 inch VHO retro kit or the plug and play.
Just dont forget to say HELLO to me when you turn the LIGHTS on in the morning. so .COM on and bring me my coffee. ;)
Make sure you use the URI bulbs.
Thomas

exactly!
orbuy a WH7 ba;llast and DIY

krunk

24" vhos are 4" longer then a 10gal. yes you can put a 24" vho voer them, but 2" will stick out both sides. you could find something too cover them up.
crazy4reefs -just use2 - 24" vhos.

pufferfan

So should i get
IceCap VHO Ballast 430 or 660?
Sorry to be so annoying, i just want to make sure i get the right stuff. ;)

krunk

two 24" might be too much on your 10 gallon though....but if you want to do it, you can keep basiclly any coral you want. but you will evaporate like 3 gallons a day, so keep alot of topoff water. i think you should buy a 20-30 gallon, but thats just me.
o...an icecap 430 will be good.

T

thomas712

Ice crap not necessary, the retro fit kit comes with an electronic ballast every bit as good as the ice cap, runs cool, but you don't have the option of turning on lights seperate.
Thomas

chevytrks

i have a 20 gallon long with 2 75 watt vho , one white and one blue
i put them each individually on a workhorse 5 ballast, so i can control dusk/dawn
vho vs pc, i have now become a fan of vho
all my other tanks including my 5 gallon have pc
this set up could work for you also,
better yet, you can get a 70 watt hqi mh for your nano, and supplement with a 13-18 watt bulb for dusk/dawn
that would be very nice