lightning bugs.......

brucewrs

last night in the dark i was looking at the tank and noticed flashes of green light,like lightning bugs.What is it?

brucewrs

Originally Posted by reckler
what type of animals do you have in your tank?
I have about 20 fish and about 200-300 lbs live rock.The tank is a 210gallon.When the creature lit up I used my flash light to see what it was and it is a cross between a shrimp and crab.It took off hiding so i could not get a real good look..There are a few because they were blinking all over my tank.I woke up my wife at midnight because I thought i was seeing things.She saw them also..

fishieness

im tagging along because id love to find out what they are and buy one. haha
tonight, try to see if you can get a picture of it.

reckler

yeah, there are a few animals that light up. It would be hard to tell you what it is without seeing a pic or knowing what you have exactly in your tank. I would try to do a google search on each one of you fish and or shrimp,crabs, ECT. I know you can get a flashlight fish for the home aquarium. If I am right they resemble a domino damsel. try to get a pic of the beast you think it is and post it here.

reckler

I just read this on the mantis shrimp. this might help too.
scientists documented the first usage of fluorescent light as a behavioral signal to communicate to other organisms in the marine environment. The mantis shrimp was shown to use the fluorescent light to ward off other males during mating season and potential predators.
If you are interested in reading the artical here is the link to it.
http://www.nurp.noaa.gov/News/HT011204.htm

anonome

I hope for your sake you don't have a tank full of mantis shrimp. How awful. Lets hope it is something else. Good Luck.

fishieness

wow.... i had not heard that mantis shrimps can do this. i knew flashlight fish can. and electric flame scallops, but ive never heard that mantis's can..... yeah... that owuldnt be too good if you have a tank ful of them. are you sure you STILL have 20 fish?
lol.
but he did say it was a mix between a shrimp and a crab, and i can see how someone who doesnt know what a mantis looks like could see that reselmblence...

dragonboy

It could be organisim that light up I forgot the name but I heard when the water is stir or agitated it will light up. It can be anything though but thats pretty cool to watch though hehehe..

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by dragonboy
It could be organisim that light up I forgot the name but I heard when the water is stir or agitated it will light up. It can be anything though but thats pretty cool to watch though hehehe..
Yup, they are called dinoflagelletes, single celled algae. You can actually buy some from a company callled sunysideseafarms. You do not need to feed those ones , they use the light in your room to photosynthesize thus producing their own food and oxygen. Only problem is they prefer the temperatures that range between 50 and 70degrees fahrenheit.

L

lbaskball

Euphausia pacifica which is a species of krill tend to have bioloumescent

brucewrs

I have been hearing alot of clicking noise in the tank.I thought it was my puffer eating shells.I hope they are not baby mantis....I will look tonight.I will keep you posted,thanks

L

lbaskball

Clicking noises..uh oh...
I used to hear those in my tank too, found out i had a hairy crab in my tank that was eating my corals or trying to at least. Had to take him out. It might be a mantis though.

brucewrs

Well......The snapping noise was very loud last night.My wife could not sleep so she woke me up.I can not find where the noise is coming from.I did see the lightning bugs flashing again but everytime i turn on the light they would hide.. I have a very bad feeling... I did see a red shrimp with orange claws hiding in a hole,but it had regular type claws.Almost like a lobster.It is about 1-2"s long.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by brucewrs
Well......The snapping noise was very loud last night.My wife could not sleep so she woke me up.I can not find where the noise is coming from.I did see the lightning bugs flashing again but everytime i turn on the light they would hide.. I have a very bad feeling... I did see a red shrimp with orange claws hiding in a hole,but it had regular type claws.Almost like a lobster.It is about 1-2"s long.
really? hmm.. that would be cool if you use your digital camera and record the flashing lighting in your tank. Is it blueish color or is it a greenish color that you see with the lighting bugs?

brucewrs

Originally Posted by lbaskball
really? hmm.. that would be cool if you use your digital camera and record the flashing lighting in your tank. Is it blueish color or is it a greenish color that you see with the lighting bugs?
It is a greenish color.They look like some kind of crab.Very small.