Lights for a 14 gal ?

scott t

Until i save the money for MY 46 Gal bow Front which i hope to have in a few months. I am setting up a 14 gal (20X10X15) I was wondering if a 96W Coralife compact (50/50 Quad Tube that combines 10,000°K and True Actinic 03 blue phosphors 96 watts and 20" L x 7" W x 2-1/2" H.) would be enough for it and what kind of corals could i put in it with this lighting if any?? I will have 20 lbs. of live sand in it and about 16-18 lbs of live rock and only fish i think i will have in it is 2 clowns?
thanks for your help with this...

btldreef

It will be fine. More than I have on my 14G. I only have 48w on my 14G stock Oceanic BioCube and it was fine. I just didn't try to keep SPS.
In a reef tank, the general guideline is 3-5 watts per gallon. This means that you need at minimum 42 watts, and max 70 so you're more than fine.
Just a word of caution, because I know you're trying to save up money for the bigger tank. You're going to spend a fortune before you know it! We started with a 14G because we thought a small tank would be cheaper, yeah, no. The nice thing is you can grow frags and then they'll be a decent size for your bigger tank. But, it won't save you money, LOL. This hobby, I mean addiction, is ridiculously expensive.

scott t

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3154975
It will be fine. More than I have on my 14G. I only have 48w on my 14G stock Oceanic BioCube and it was fine. I just didn't try to keep SPS.
In a reef tank, the general guideline is 3-5 watts per gallon. This means that you need at minimum 42 watts, and max 70 so you're more than fine.
Just a word of caution, because I know you're trying to save up money for the bigger tank. You're going to spend a fortune before you know it! We started with a 14G because we thought a small tank would be cheaper, yeah, no. The nice thing is you can grow frags and then they'll be a decent size for your bigger tank. But, it won't save you money, LOL. This hobby, I mean addiction, is ridiculously expensive.
BTLDreef- I knew that I could count on you for an answer to this Question!!!
Yeah I know it will be an addiction and I know by looking at things and the Price of things that is going to cost me some money (a lot of money LOL
). But I know in the long run it will be worth it if I do it the right way and not the wrong way. It will be well worth the money spent for me to Enjoy the Beauty and Awe of SWF.
I thank you so much for all the help you and other on here have given me so far, so that I can make the right decisions on what will work the best, and give me the most enjoyment out of SWF. Its good to know that I have decicated people that are willing to help others out with sharing their own experencies so that other may learn.
LIVE, LEARN and ENJOY all that is beautiful in life its TURLY a GIFT.

saltywhit67

did you end up buying the quad fixture? happy w/ it? I am in a similar situation with an eclipse setup and I am thinking of buying this light or retrofitting in a halide.