lights

payton 350

buy yourself a clip on 175 watt mh ....can keep everything....just be careful with placement not to burn any corals

120reefer

135 watts is MORE than enough.. to be honest you really only would need a single 96watt PC or some t-5s to be honest... and you could still keep most corals you come across

reefnut

135 watts of what?? PCs, VHOs and T5s limit the corals, anemones and clams that you can keep... the MH would allow you to keep about anything... but for a 20g you may not want to keep high light demanding corals anyways.

g-ram

I have a 96watt PC for my 20gal. So far, the only coral I couldn't keep alive was some frogspawn, but those are difficult to keep and it could have been my own fault.

rick58

You need to be careful here and think things through. As Reefnut implies, this decision will have a big impact on your tank. Keep in mind that each of these has it's own strengths and weaknesses and it's not just about what corals you can keep with which lights. You also need to think about how often you need to replace the bulbs, the cost of replacement, the cost of operation, heat generated (MH on a 20 gal?), aesthetics (actinics for neon look, blue or whiter look, etc). You also should probably consider where the hobby might lead and how adaptable your lighting solution is to other, larger tanks. I guess I'm saying take some time and research this, it is not a question best answered by a poll.
And this isn't everything... goodluck.

fanker

go witth t-5s they are better than VHO and WAY better than pc. PCs are a thing in the past they dont even compete with anything in par. heres the rundown.
t-5s last longer than other bubs but not 2 years.
Power compact (PC): multiple, sometimes folded T12 flourescent lights. (T number is equivalent to 1/8In diameter bulb so T12 is 12/8 or 1.5 in diameter while T5 is 5/8 in diameter) Only one end cap per bulb. Good lights for fish only but not good for corals. Cheap front end cost. Expensive bulbs, 10-12 month bulb life.
VHO (Very High Output): Disclaimer; I never really considered these for my tank, so I dont know too much. T12 flourescent but overdriven I believe. (Overdriven is when you pump more wattage through a lower wattage bulb = more intense light but shorter life) 2 end caps. Bulbs moderately priced, median front end cost, Good for fish only or reef tanks.
T5 HO (hight output): 5/8 in diameter bulbs, slightly higher front end costs, bulbs last longer, and are cheaper. Runs multiple bulbs on either single or seperate reflectors. Separate reflectors can increase light utput by up to 40% (ive heard) Also run fewer watts for same light output = lower electricity bill. Smaller bulb means more bulbs in same area = higher light output. Great for corals tanks less than 24 in deep. PAR (light penetration through water) falls off after that. Probably overkill for fish only tanks. Also runs slightly cooler than the rest. probably the best for reef tanks
MH/HQI (metal Halide): Point source bulb (like a street light), High wattage, very high light output/intensity/PAR. Expensive front end costs, bulbs, etc. Run hot! Great for all high light animals (Acropora/clams/SPS etc.) very good but expencive and t-5s are really up with them with PAR. go with the t-5s
Most reefers run a combination of MH for the daylight and either VHO/PC/T5 for the blue actinic spectrum. But you can do any of the above. It really depends on what you want to keep (think of the future too) and how much you are willing to spend. I started with PC and am upgrading to a T5 with separate reflectors so that I can keep most anything I want. I could have gone with just about anything but the T5 fit my style better than the others.
but get the t-5s no matter what. they are the best lights besides mh

reefnut

Originally Posted by fanker
MH/HQI (metal Halide): Point source bulb (like a street light), High wattage, very high light output/intensity/PAR. Expensive front end costs, bulbs, etc. Run hot! Great for all high light animals (Acropora/clams/SPS etc.) very good but expencive and t-5s are really up with them with PAR. go with the t-5s
I think that last statement is very misleading... T5s still cannot produce the wattage or PAR that MHs can. This compairison has to be for a low wattage MH and lot's of wattage from the T5s I'd guess??

fanker

its not the wattage on the t-5s its the intensity. the par is really really good and high for how low the watts are. ya the mh are still the best lights but u can get less wattage lights that can grow the same stuff as mh. go ahead go with my, but thats alot more wattage than t-5s for the same result. t-5s are cheaper last longer are less wattage and run cool. it it was me i would stay away from mh. there not worth it. u spend more money in the long run for the same results. sorry reefnut but u may be more experianced than me but t-5s are my specialty.