Lights ?

vontill

What would be the best lights for my tank. I have a 72 Gallon Bowfront, with some zoos and muchrooms. Right now I have a Coralife 2-65 watt. I am just worried this is not enough. The guy at my LFS said this would be great for all coral. But now I am stating to second guess him.

wangotango

in a 72 (2) 65w pc's is really only enough to keep shrooms, zoos, and other soft corals. if you dont want any limitations you should look into a T5 system, like and aquactinics or even a tek. just as good as halides without the price and heat.
-Justin

grumpygils

Originally Posted by vontill
What would be the best lights for my tank. I have a 72 Gallon Bowfront, with some zoos and muchrooms. Right now I have a Coralife 2-65 watt. I am just worried this is not enough. The guy at my LFS said this would be great for all coral. But now I am stating to second guess him.
The guy at the LFS is not experienced if he thinks it will grow anything. Probably works great in his store for the two weeks he has the coral in his tank but not for the long run. Shrooms and zoos will live in that but not much else and they will not thrive. Zoos need more than the shrooms. While it is not such a good way to measure lighting, you have less than 2W/gallon. That is very minimal lighting. Most reef tanks have 5-8 W/gallon. That is ONLY a rule of thumb and is dependant on numerous other factors such as coral placement, tank depth, lighting type ect...
I would suggest getting another 2 X 65W (~$80 new) at a minimum. Then when that seems dull after a while, get MHs. That is the progression many go through. Wish I would of spent money on lighting up front!
Hope this helps a little?
Mc

vontill

Where can you get a 2x65 for $80.00?
I am looking for something perfect for my tank. I am going to only keep soft corals. In the $300.00 range.

dragonzim

If you want to stay in the $300 range check out the Tek 6x54W T5 fixtures. I have one on my 75 and it is fantastic. I can keep anything I want in there...