Lights

chub

I have some T5 lights thats are appox. 10mo old. After there on 2-3hrs the sand in some areas starts turning Brown and after there off overnite. The sand looks perfect when the lights come on. There on approx 9hrs can they be weak already?

nycbob

most t5 bulbs last 12-18 months. but depending on the manufacturer, it can hv a shorter or longer life. i replace mine every 9-12 months regardless.

robertmathern

What kind of ballast do you have. IMO your bulbs are done if you over power the bulbs they work great but die a little faster.

chub

I have no clue what kind of ballast it has. It looks like crust on the sand you can blow it away with a baster

chub

Ive changed the bulbs. Tested the water several times ( no differant than it has been for yrs) moved the powerheads. Do 10% water changes every 10days and I still get brown sand in places after the lites are on 2-3hrs. The sand looks great in the morning after the lights been off all nite. Doesnt get any worse about the same amount everyday. Any Ideas?

chub

Heres what I get after the lights are on a couple hours. Its gone after lights are off all nite

messedupisme

I get the same stuff...I am a newbie that bought a used tank...I believe my issue is due to light spectrum is just crap now...although I did increase the flow of my tank and it helped out tremendously...still have this issue but not as much on the sand...more of on the glass now....i suspect that when I upgrade the lighting I will no longer have this issue..another thing I thought may be causing it is I used Water conditioned tap water ..due to not being educated about RO yet..So Do you use RO/DI water? The answer to that would be very helpful to me...if so lighting would be the only culprit..

mcbdz

Originally Posted by chub
http:///forum/post/2821454
Heres what I get after the lights are on a couple hours. Its gone after lights are off all nite

May help to give some info on your set up.
Size, age, gph, your para.(numbers please),SG, Phos., what type of water are you using for topoffs and w/c's, live stock, clean up crew, what, how much/often you feed, etc. Anything you can think gives a full picture of your tank. This helps you get more people that will help.
Good luck.
Pattie

robertmathern

I think it could be ballests. You dont know what kind you have then you never replaced them. How old are they. They get weak over time to not just your bulbs. Also listen to mcbdz thats a big help there to figure this out.

chub

This tank had been up 2yrs the lites are Nova Extreme 4x54. The I got the lite new in 12/07. New bulbs this week. The water tests are Amonina 0 niterates or niterites are 5 the other is 0 ph 8.2 salt is 1.023 I use ro/di water for everything and do 10% changes every7-10 days. There are at least 75 snail/crabs more snails. live stock 2 clowns 1 assessor 1 sixline 1 chalk bass and a lemompeel angel. 2 mj 900 power heads and a aqua c HOB skimmer ligts are on appox 6hrs were on 9 before . 55gal FOWLR feed 1 time a day flakes or pellets or frozen I have a bag of Phos Zorb in it now

chub

I see now that the power heads,thermometer, and the bag of Phos Zorb have something on them and the sand is white as it can be ( light off) when on reddish/brown
Now gotta figure how to get rid of it.

chub

Ive done what every one has told me to try, with no change, water test are the same I could leave the off for a while if the would help any more ideas?