Limestone use?

silverado61

I'd like to build up the bottom of my tank so I don't loose so much of my dry coral pieces in the sand. I'm planning at least a 3in substrate like I did before. Last time I made DIY rock to build up the bottom and it worked really good but it took fooreevvver to cure it. I read somewhere that you can use limestone as a base or as ornamental dry rock. Is this true? If so, I know of a landscaping supply company a few miles away that sells to the public and I know they have limestone slabs for retaining walls in small enough pieces to fit in my tank.

2quills

Limestone is calcium carbonate, i.e., dead coral, aragonite sand, etc., it's all the same thing. I would still cure it. May have some impurities in it.

silverado61

Limestone is calcium carbonate, i.e., dead coral, aragonite sand, etc., it's all the same thing. I would still cure it. May have some impurities in it.
Thanks 2quills. I think that's the way I'm going to go. Until I start the build I'm going to continue my research on this.

Anyone else?

silverado61

Thanks 2quills. I think that's the way I'm going to go. Until I start the build I'm going to continue my research on this.

Anyone else?
In your opinion, Which would be better to use?
Calcite, Dolomite or Aragonite? I know each has a different density.

Last edited:

silverado61

Would I just cure it for Alkalinity or is there something else I should test for?