Limpid's Heart Ache

mr. limpid

Well I have been keeping fish now going on 31 years and I still can't get over losing a fish. So to any new comers to this hobby I will give this advice. DO NOT BUY A FISH if any of these items are seen or observed.
1) Doesn't look good (spots; blemishes; torn fins; faded color or darker then norm.)
2) Swimming funny
3) Doesn't eat for LFS
I purchased a Cream Angel from LFS he had all points except no. 1. There were white cotton spots on him, I was sure it was
Lymphocystis,
so when the guy said he was going to do fresh water dip I cringed. Since I've seen how they preformed the dip B4 (tap water using finger to adjust temp., no test of PH then dipping for about 2 min.) The stress that was going to be applied to this fish for no reason was to much I was going to save it. I bought it took it home put it in my QT. He did fine for a week then today it died. I love fish and this fish would of died no matter what I did but now I have the heart ache of thinking I did something or didn't do enough. Also the LFS made there profit and will continue to sell sick fish knowing someone will buy them.
So I say, save the heart ache and your money and only buy health fish.

S

saxman

I definitely wouldn't buy a sick fish...I've even turned them down when they've been offered to me for free (so far).
As for torn fins, it happens, esp with fish like lions...you see a split here and there, or one or more of the dorsal spines are unsheathed from handling. These things generally heal up fine, but the thing to look for is any redness or fungus in any damaged areas, as these indicate the presence of "pathology".

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/392415/limpids-heart-ache#post_3484296
I definitely wouldn't buy a sick fish...I've even turned them down when they've been offered to me for free (so far).
As for torn fins, it happens, esp with fish like lions...you see a split here and there, or one or more of the dorsal spines are unsheathed from handling. These things generally heal up fine, but the thing to look for is any redness or fungus in any damaged areas, as these indicate the presence of "pathology".
Thanks saxman for adding to the list of don't.
If others have more please feel to add to the list.

travelerjp98

Dont buy a baby (very very small) picasso triggerfish because you don't know if there was cyanide used in it's catching.. same goes for a lot of others too.

kiefers

Meet Titan

Once again....... I got a "baby baby" picasso. He was exactley just under an inch. Now he is roughly 1.5-2 inches and doing fine.
I say go for it my man!!

travelerjp98

Kiefers-
Awwwww he is cuter than a puppy! If I could I wold snuggle with him! Just adorable!
Im happy that yours is doing well. I guess cyanide isn't used as commonly as I thought :%%:
Youve changed my mind on them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/392415/limpids-heart-ache#post_3484296
I couldn't agree more. I don't worry about a little tear in a fin but if it's really nibbled away...nope, not even then.
A sick fish means extra work and money to try and save it.
Making the LFS think they can sell anything.
The possibility of contaminating my healthy fish.
Taking up my QT...what if I need it for my already established pets?
The stress of loss
The wasted money that I could have used for something else.
Like SW fish don't cost enough...why buy a sick fish you might have to repurchase to replace.
Fish are not puppies to be rescued. What you add to a SW tank dictates what can be added later, from corals to new fish. Get the critter you want, and get the best specimen you can get your hands on. Just my .02